Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Winter 20i15 December 30 Wednesday: Earthquake!


30  degrees this morning.  No walk (ice, cough)

Earthquake!  I am now a believer!  I know I felt my first Earthquake Tuesday morning at 5:40 a.m., a 4.3 magnitude earthquake with an epicenter about 5 miles away from us.  It was felt statewide.

Anyway, after avoiding it for over a year, I paid .99 cents for an improved “earthquake app” in a matter of one minute!  

It was more of a roar than a vibration, it felt like there was a bunch of snow on the roof that feel off.

Fortunately, we didn’t have any damage.  A few places at the “epicenter” had electricity knocked out and some minor damage.

We also felt/heard the aftershock, a 3.4 magnitude about 10 minutes later.  

What was strange was that the “bang” and  the vibration seemed to be away from where the actual earthquake was.  The earthquake was almost directly east, but all of the noise and vibration was on the south.  It also seemed to be high rather than low.

Anyway, if I’m never in another one, it will be  too soon!

Still have my cough  I thought I was over it yesterday and either as part of the process or because I did too much, the cough returned last night  I am actually getting close to the 18 days predicted for the other person that had a cough like mine.  It will be14 days Friday or Saturday.

I was hoping I could start at least walking again this weekend, but that doesn’t look likely now.  The coughing/cold completely changes your life while you have the symptoms.

I think we are so accustomed to modern medicine, it is difficult to believe (at least subconsciously) that there isn’t a medicine that will cure everything.  Of course, I hear all the time that there is’t a medicine for everything, but somehow it is difficult to think that there isn’t a medicine that at least will stop your cough etc.  

Perhaps it is the same  reason  that we have nerves our body, so we are warned of dangers that may be more significant if we don’t pay attention.  

I remember when I was a child saying that it would be nice if you didn’t have nerves so you wouldn’t feel pain etc. when you touched a stove etc.  (probably I had just read about someone who didn’t feel pain).  

Of course, I was advised that pain is a warning signal, that you need to take your hand away from the fire or whatever!  I figure a cough/cold is the same way, if I cough when I do do much in cold air, there is a reason I need to change what I do in cold air!  

Hopefully it will warm up soon, although there is another storm coming in.  Of course, it is Winter and things like that happen!  

I really haven’t done to much of a retrospective of 2015, or 2014 for that matter.  I normally don’t spend a lot of time looking back.  Maybe I should, but except for learning from events (and hopefully I learned at the time), I don’t spend a lot of time looking back, either crowing about successes or mounting the failures and bad events.  

That is something I never did, ether professionally or personally.  Obviously I realize you can learn a lot from history and looking back, but somehow at the end of the year, it just seemed such a waste of time to artificially review the year.  I also get extremely tired of the media and the “ten best, ten worst” etc. of the past year.  

Anyway, everyone to their own, that is just the way I feel about it.  


That’s it for now, Wednesday, December 30, 2015.

No comments: