Thursday, June 30, 2016

2016 Summer June 30 Thursday


76 degrees this morning, walk 36:18 minutes

Sitting on the patio this morning, the air relatively cool.  

Thinking about choices 

Since I am sitting on the patio writing this, I am not sitting in the bonus room, writing this and (one of my secret vices) watching boxing or auto racing or music videos on tv.  

I would rather sit on the patio, so that is my top choice, but I also miss the option of sitting in the room.  That is not an option, since I can’t be two places at one time.  

Not sure why I like to watch boxing (this is the “traditional boxing”). 

Part of it is I actually like the obvious show of boxing, the entry of the boxers, the ringside introductions, the actual drama of two persons matching wits and even the bad decisions by the judges.

Professional wrestling goes way too far for me and I have no desire to watch it, but most boxing I do like.  Of course, I only watch it on tape delay so I can speed through all the commercials and parts I don’t like. 

Anyway, back to choices again.  Obviously time is limited and you have to make priorities. Just thinking of the priorities you make during the day without thinking is rather amazing.  If you actually stopped to think about each decision you would never get anything done!

That is one thing I noted about my past career, as the years went by, I seemed to develop a “core knowledge” that decisions I would have thought about in previous years, I simply knew what to do without thinking.  (Not always a good thing!).

I am starting to develop it in my present position. It’s not something you can plan, it is just something that happens and you look back and realize what has happened.  

June 30 and the year 2016 is not half over.  I am not necessarily glad or sad, it is just a fact.

My conception of time is that I don’t really want it to go by so fast, but I want the future to get here so the good things that the future brings can also happen.

In this case, time passing is not a “choice” but is just a fact. Time is going to pass, so I had better make good use of it!

Regarding the YMCA, as I learn more about the “partnership” the City, YMCA and School System set up, it sounds like the city was really taken for a ride.  Basically the school system has the complete right to use the swimming pool at any time, for any reason etc. (You get the picture)

Of course it is one of those “partnerships” where each party expects the other to be reasonable.  In this case, it sounds like the school is being relatively reasonable, the YMCA is using it as an excuse to make money from school “clubs” not associated with swimming and basically block paying members from using the swimming pool.

As I may have mentioned yesterday, the YMCA basically told me “deal with it, go to a YMCA 20 miles away if you don’t like it”.    I find it hard to believe the YMCA treats it paying members that way.  

I think this YMCA has lost perspective as to serving it’s members in the best possible way. and certainly took advantage of the “partnership”  to the determent of the citizens and certainly YMCA members.  

As I have mentioned, a major reason we moved to this area was the closeness of he YMCA.  It seems they should disclose that that the swimming pool is not  really available to paying members, but,…..

As it turns out, we love the area anyway, even without the YMCA , so it was the right decision anyway. 


That’s it for now, Thursday, June 30, 2016.

No comments: