Sunday, June 26, 2016

2016 Summer June 26 Sunday



76 degrees this morning, walk 34:21 minutes

Sitting on patio again as I write this.  There is something about early morning outside.  It is still and yet not still.  If you stay out, you can see the world wake up, as the sun rises, birds start chattering and people start moving about.  

The 4th sprinkler company who was supposed to show up yesterday, didn’t show up. No call etc.  I realize they are busy, but I don’t see how they stay in business without some common courtesy and good business practices.  Maybe they don’t stay in business.

I am hoping for some rain, but overall the plants and grass seem to be getting along ok.  Of course they are showing the change of the lack of watering.  

Skipped the weight training exercises this morning (dumb bells  and regular weights)   I didn’t so much skip as I decided to take a recovery day, since I had been exercising daily since around June 4.  While I feel “every other day” isn’t often  enough, I expect you do need to take a recovery day sometimes.

The dumb bars emphasize how a “little” can affect the overall situation. I had been living 20 lb dumb bells literally for years.  About a month ago, I switched to 25 pound dumb bells.  (25 pounds each).  

The extra five pounds made a huge difference as far as the effort etc. and I still am not used to them.  

Of course, although with that, I added the bar bell training (as in the bench press) which of course adds to the exercise of the muscles n my arm.

I think it is difficult to realize the effects of cumulative small changes, and how it added to bigger changes.  Weight is one of them.  You add a pound here, a pound there and eventually you suddenly realize you’re overweight.

When a series of incremental changes lead to a large change overall, I think it is especially important to be aware that changes are being made, and just because they are small, doesn’t mean they aren’t  important.   

Looking back, I can usually see where some incredible small decisions or changes led to a major decision.  20/20 hindsight and all of that, but it seems I still should be able to recognize  that small decisions will lead to much bigger “decisions” whether I intend it or not.

I like the “long nights” of early summer.  That is one thing we really missed in Memphis.  Here, at this time of year, it doesn’t really get dark until around 9 p..m. (an hour later than Memphis) and it is really nice to have that extra sunlight.

Of course, baseball season is almost half over, and soon July 4 will mean the traditional time known as “summer” will also be half over.  

Getting back into bicycle riding also.  I am taking it gradually, getting my “bicycle legs” back.. 
I don’t formally train as such, I just go as far as I feel comfortable, and each day try to go a little further and with a little more speed.  However, I don’t push myself, my first priority is making it a positive experience.  

We are considering getting a stationary bicycle and  a treadmill for the course (and canceling out YMCA membership due to the school taking over the swimming pool and blocking the members out.  

As long as we can do a little each day, I think that is what is important

Looking forward to another hot Sunday, with possible rain late tonight.  


That’s it for now Sunday, June 26, 2016.

No comments: