Wednesday, June 29, 2016

2016 Summer June 29 Wednesday



76 degrees this morning, walk 36:07 minutes

Well, I found out where a member stands in the “public private” YMCA which I was so pleased was a mile from my home!  (and I emphasize the word “was” pleased.)

As I mentioned the YMCA was a “public private” partnership with the YMCA, the School and the City.  Understandably the school gets to use the pool for their teams etc., although it seems even the YMCA reps didn’t know they were using it from 6:30 a.m.to 9 a.m. in the morning, which is prime time for “regular paying members”.

In addition, I now find out the YMCA “leases” the pool lanes to private groups during the times form 5:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m., meaning a “regular” dues paying member has no chance of swimming in the morning!  

While I won’t include any names, I was told to “go to another YMCA” which is at least a 20 minute drive away.  My feeling is, why should I when I live a mile from this one!

I think more likely, I will cancel my YMCA membership and join a private club where my membership is appreciated!  

Here is the quote from the e-mail (with identifying information deleted).  This is after he (a YMCA representative) responded to my letter to the City Mayor and I responded to him expressing my concerns.  

“Understand Robert! Sorry its not more available. Please feel free to use the ***** YMCA Pool. It has more available times, since the school and the competitive teams are not using it”

In other words, if you don’t like it, go somewhere else!  Who cares if it is 20 minutes away instead of two minutes! 

Now I understand why many recreational professionals don’t like the YMCA involvement in a community, they have their own agenda and no concern for members. 

In all fairness, my experience with the YMCA has always been positive before this, and so I am a little surprised to be told “tough, go somewhere else”.

I am also very disappointed to learn that the YMCA is “leasing” already scarce pool time so “regular” paying members have no opportunity to swim!  

I am becoming very concerned about the continued growth of “public private partnerships”, I think it ends up with all the costs to the “public” (and members in this case) and all of the benefits to the “private” (or non-city entity).  

Meanwhile, we will start looking at private health clubs.  Without the swimming pool available, the YMCA is simply too expensive for the limited hours and limited facilities it has. 
We finally got a response from a Sprinkler company, who advised they can’t come out until “next Tuesday”.  Fair enough, I can understand that  Now, assuming they actually do show up…..  If not, we have lost another week.  

I guess our next step is to simply tear out all the plants etc. and have a rock garden, which may not be a bad idea anyway.  (Not very likely actually, although it is always possible!)

It is hard to believe it almost seems “cool” at 76 degrees, but it does.  I am sure it will heat up at the day goes on, but when I went out to walk this morning (and certainly while on the patio), it almost seems cool.


That’s it for now, Wednesday, June 29, 2016.

No comments: