Tuesday, June 21, 2016

2016 Summer June 21 Tuesday


78 degrees this morning, walk 33:50 minutes

First day of Summer!  It is wonderful, except in the back of my mind it also means Summer is already starting to wane!  Again, I enjoy it while it is here and don’t worry about the cold winds of winter.  

Toastmasters last night, I always remember how much I enjoy it when I have missed a few meetings and feel like I have missed something!  The meetings are relaxed, which provides a better learning atmosphere for many people.

That is the good thing about Toastmasters, there are all types of clubs and it is  relatively easy to find one that suits your learning tastes.. 

I always argued for “Partnerships” when I was City Manager.  Now I see the other side. 

In the current case, the wonderful YMCA which is about a mile away basically has a swimming pool which is not essentially not  accessible to the public.  Due to the “public private” partnership between the local school system, YMCA and City, the YMCA and City got throughly fooled by the school system.

Went to swim yesterday and basically found the only time the swimming pool is accessible to the public is similar to the “midnight in a cornfield” type of situation.  The school system throughly fooled the city and YMCA.

Most YMCA’s have a swimming pool accessible at least for limited hours in the morning, noon and evening.

This YMCA never had evening house for adults swimming (I”m talking about lap swimming) and now is essentially only open for lap swimming from noon to 2:30 Monday through Thursday.!

This was one of the reasons I moved to this area, although i would have anyway.  Obviously we are canceling our YMCA membership in disgust and I am also contacting the City, YMCA and school system about my feelings about the matter!  i will not be contributing to the YMCA or the school system.  I am going to suggest to the City and YMCA they be very careful about dealing with the local school system1  

A matter of “fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me”!

Sitting on the patio again this morning.  It is very nice although not as nice as the patio in Lakeland or our previous house, but ok.  It will be nicer when we can build a roof over it so we can use it more during the day.  

It has a nice breeze in the morning and the sounds of the morning.  

I am aways surprised when I go out later in the early morning and the birds are so much more active (towards sunrise). They are very loud. However, now, I only hear a few bugs and the breeze through the trees.  
This morning, the almost full moon is “obscured by clouds”, peaking in and out of the clouds.  I alway think about a scene in a Stephen King novel when an unlucky motorist picks up an escaped convict who is a psychopathic murderer and it is “the last time he picks up a hitchhiker”.  

He didn’t need to say any more to make it a blood chilling moment!

I always think about listening to Stephen King’s novel “It” during my early morning walks, but I figure it would scare me too much. 

When I first read “It” I was by myself and, at the time, I frequently stayed up all night reading.  I got up several times to check the drains.  Also,  I have also been a little concerned about clowns ever since.

I’m a little scared to read the book at any time, since it may make my already overactive imagination even more active!

(Read the book and you’ll see what I mean)


That’s it for now, Tuesday, June 21, 2016, the first full day of the Summer of 2016.

No comments: