Tuesday, June 07, 2016

2016 Spring June 7 Tuesday


66 degrees this morning (Nashville)

Today, 19 years ago, Aliene and I were married. It has been a wonderful 19 years, it has just gone to fast!  A lot of changes in our lives as well as a lot of memories.  Certainly we could never have even come close to guessing the events and experiences of the past 19 years.

We say we celebrate our anniversary with 75,000 other people in some years when our anniversary falls on the same day as a CMA Fest event!     

Another day of visiting Monday  it is really wonderful to discuss the past, present and future with friends!  

Thanks to Facebook, I visiting several old friends I didn’t expect to visit, and I always enjoy visiting with a colleague in City Management and discussing city government!  ]

Our visit included something new, as we enjoyed visiting Columbia, Tennessee for the first time.  It is truly a unique historical city, with some really progressive thinking of making the city a better place for residents by providing a diversity of community and business assets as well as providing for growth of business and new residents.  

Car is currently averaging slightly over 39 mpg, getting a little less, probably due to hills, different driving etc. 

I found the gas milage is lot better (3 to 4 mpg) if I am driving at a steady speed,better at 35 to 45, but only a little less at interstate speeds if my speed is steady.  

It is funny how when I am driving our other car (with mpg of around 17 if we are lucky), I don’t really pay any attention to mpg, but with the hybrid, I am very aware of mpg and do my best to get every last mpg!

I tried to figure it out and, if I get an additional 1 mpg for say 12 gallons, that is only 12 miles per tank of gas, which when I get almost 40 mpg is very small change indeed.  Something like .60 a tank of gas at $1.89 per gallon which is about the price of gas now if I am figuring right.  The range of the car is actually a little over 650 miles, although I have never really pushed it to see exactly what the range is!

Of course, it isn’t the money saved, it is the challenge and the game of trying not to support the oil cartel and use as little gasoline (especially  reducing imported gasoline) as possible.  

That is really the reason I bought a hybrid in the first place, just a small symbolic protest.  The fact the pickup is excellent and I really enjoy driving it is a bonus.  

The drive yesterday included driving along familiar terrain and roads.  Somehow it was almost like it hadn’t been 15 years since we first drove this road, and at least two years since we drove it now.  The stores, rest stops and terrain were somehow familiar and yet different.  

While I haven’t been taking my formal walks (I do get walking in and will get plenty in after Wednesday!), I have kept up with my barbells, and, I hope they have the weight bench in the hotels we are staying at for bench presses etc.  I don’t think I have even seen a heavy bag and punching bag in a hotel exercise room!

Hopefully they will also have a stationary bike so I can keep working on my “bicycle legs”!

Today and tomorrow we are meeting an old friend of Aliene’s.  We meet them in various places over the years and have a lot of fun visiting.

Then, the main purpose of our trip (I think), the CMA Fest. 

As I mentioned prior to the start of the trip, it is now already Tuesday morning and some of the major reasons for our trip are already over.  Time goes so fast!

One thing I learned in my career in City Management was that I couldn’t really enjoy my vacation if I didn’t check my e-mail and voice mail!  The habit continues, but I do have a set procedure of when I check it and when I return phone calls.

I think about the changes in traveling due to smart phones, texting and e-mail, it has truly revolutionized traveling.  I can still remember standing and waiting for pay phones and how cell phones basically eliminated most pay phones!  It certainly made it a lot easier to maintain contact.


Thats it for today, Tuesday, June 7, 2016, our 19th wedding anniversary. 

No comments: