Sunday, June 05, 2016

2016 Spring June 5 Sunday



70   degrees this morning (Memphis)

Good day yesterday, visiting with friends.  It was really good to see and visit with them.  While we are visiting, it seems the time since we have last seen them vanishes, which I believe it an indication of true friends!

Learned a new game “Mahjong”.  I had vaguely heard of it before.   It is interesting, although I expect it is one of those games (like Bridge) which is somewhat easy to learn the basics, but very hard to become good at.  

I used to play bridge a lot, especially duplicate bridge at tournaments, but due to time, the only time I play Bridge now is on the computer atop moments.  Even then, I only play the computer and not “on-line” bridge.  

I guess like anything you make time for what you want to do.  

Apparently I spoke too soon about planning.  Came to check into the motel, and found out I had made reservations at the wrong motel, or the motel made error.  Probably my error. Both were “Fairfield Inn and Suites” and both had similar sounding street addresses.

In fact, they were only about 4 miles apart physically, but about 400 miles apart in other aspects, if you know what I mean.

While they were nice and changed  the reservations, it ended up costing more due to the difference in rates and “reward” points. 

I have been disappointed in the Fairfield Inn, which is a Marriott  chain hotel  One ice machine for the entire hotel and it was out of ice yesterday!  Also just things where are are obviously being cheap just to be cheap.  Give me a Hampton Inn every time! 

Live and learn.  

Attending the ICMA Convention in September.  Registration (and hotels) opened at 11:00 a.m. Friday.  At 4:30 p.m, when I registered, the hotels were basically “sold out” except for the main Marriott hotel, which is one of those hotels designed to extract maximum profits from you while providing as little service as possible and charge fees for everything possible.

Hopefully they will open up some more hotel rooms, but I am looking for a “non convention” hotel, even if we have to drive or take a Uber car to the Convention Hall.

It seems like Kansas City would have provided more motel rooms, or at least the Convention Planners would have refused to go there if they couldn’t provide more rooms.  I realize they have to plan in advance, but they are supposed to be the experts.  If they can’t provide enough rooms to last past the the first few hours of Registration, something is wrong, either the City isn’t keeping it’s part of the bargain or someone isn't planning right.

On the other hand, perhaps it is better, since  conference hotel can be a cold experience and another hotel may provide a more “local” experience while providing good access to the convention.  
It may be time to give Airbnb a try!  Actually, we may well try it.  It seems like hotels are becoming like airlines and believe they can charge you excessive fees for services that used to be included in the room fee, plus gouging “guests” for parking.  

Actually, I just checked on Airbnb and it may be an interesting way to travel! Certainly a lot cheaper than hotels. I signed up for an account, maybe we can try it for a short trip and see how we like it.  

Looking forward to another day in Memphis, visiting with friends and seeing some sights (maybe even going up in the Pyramid Bash Pro stores) before leaving tomorrow morning.


That’s it for now, Sunday, June 5 2016.  May write more later

No comments: