Wednesday, October 07, 2015

Fall 2015 October 7 Wednesday



64 degrees this morning  Walk 37:38 minutes

I noticed  how once i get in a certain “weather mode”, I tend to stay that way.  Several weeks ago it was 64 degrees and I wore “warm weather” clothes for my walk. 

The temperature dropped to 54 degrees and I started wearing long pants (instead of shorts), a long sleeve undershirt (actually my prized “32 degrees” “smart shirt”), a neck warmer (to go over my mouth and nose so the “exercise induced asthma wouldn’t kick in in the colder air) and a stocking cap to keep my head warm.  

Of course, now that it is 64 degrees again, I keep dressing as if it was 54 degrees!  

My “Pulse Oximeter” went the road of many small things, I couldn’t find it this morning.  I am sure it will turn up.  I will need to start keeping it in a “silent butler” like I do everything else.

Years ago, I accepted the fact that I needed to have what I have learned is called a “silent butler”.  Any small items (watches, eye glasses, keys, wallet, rings, etc.) go one place and one place only when they are off me.  

Believe me it works, it has saved a lot of time spent hunting for stuff.  Of course, you have to remember to put it in that “one place”, but I have learned to usually do that.  If I don’t, I suffer the consequences.

Listening to the book on the Mafia, (I learned that “Mafia”, is capitalized, refers to the organization, while “mafia” with small case is the person and can refer to a number of items), I am even more struck how there are similarities with business and the Mafia.  

I remember years ago, the teaching of “ethics” in business courses, especially for an MBA etc. was a hot thing.  

Either the courses weren’t any good or the students apparently learned the opposite from the course and learned how to avoid ethical behavior!  As noted in the 2008 meltdown, many executives should have been in jail from that, not rolling in money from exploiting the situation.  

The “short term” thinking is also the exact opposite of what was supposed to have been taught.   

I assume, like anything, when extremists take over, there will be an over reaction in the future.

I just read yesterday where a “hedge fund”  (read “thieves”) took over a company, gave themselves a big dividend, bankrupted the company and now again own the company (by buying its debt) at a fraction of it’s worth, where they will probably do it again, at the expense of small shareholders and suppliers etc.

Sitting outside again, probably for one of the last times until late next Spring, at least in the early morning.  Actually, I will probably be sitting outside, but on the “inner” part of the patio with the fireplace.

The Camry will be a year old, I believe next week,and will have exactly 15,000 miles  sometime during next week.  I figure on keeping the car for 7 years and 100,000 miles, so that is exactly on track. Actually, I will probably drive a little less, since my “territory” is closer and I put on about 30 miles less each time I go out, which is about 75 miles a week (on average) or probably 4,000 miles less per year.  Of course, I don’t know what the unknown is.  

“Field Day’ yesterday.  As usual, every Field Day I learn something new and run into a new situation!  Actually, even the office days can be interesting based on e-mails and telephone calls.


That’s it for now, Wednesday, October 7, 2015.

No comments: