Saturday, October 03, 2015

Fall 2015 October 3 Saturday

Fall 2015 October 3 Saturday

54 degrees this morning, walk 38:37 minutes

Definitely turning into Fall weather.  And it only seems like a short time ago that I was getting ready for 2015, now it is 75% gone!

Yesterday, October 2, marked 15 months in this city and 13 months on my job.   I am very disappointed in the city and very pleased with my work.  

Every time I see the  video billboard sign (with advertisements for things you really wouldn’t want your child reading) lighting up the back yards (and back rooms) of about ten new houses, I almost get physically sick with anger at the absolute negligence of the city officials who would allow this.  

In addition, the same row of houses back up to a huge strip mall with absolutely no buffering.  Although I am far away from this, I do plan on complaining about this. 

My “two days’ off” are over.  Actually it was very enjoyable and I just peaked at my work e-mail and my new accounts for a brief time!  

I have been reading the latest John Grisham book (Gray Mountain).  I have to admit I am having a hard time staying focused on it.  After his first two books, he has been very spotty in his writing and some of his books really haven’t been that good. 

It is almost like he is just trying to get something written and just tosses it off.  When he can be such a wonderful writer, that is really a same.  

His book “The Innocent Man” was exceptional and I still am somewhat shocked by the brutal assumption of the police and prosecutor that the person was guilty and how any evidence indicating otherwise was explained away.  

The fact that it happened in Ada, Oklahoma, made it even more interesting and also shows the damage caused by someone who becomes obsessed with something and assumes everything else is subservient to that.

I don’t know if there is a lot of difference between that and someone obsessed with something like mountain to the exclusiveness of everything else.  

Although a completely different type of obsession, I am always reminded about a speech I heard by Beck Weathers (“Left of Dead’) and the obsession of mountain climbers.  

Of course, there are similar obsessions, for money, success,  for security, for risk taking, for a variety of things.  

I think part of the success at obtaining “balance” (without it becoming an obsession!) is being able of not worry about “one more”, such as “one more mountain, one more dollar, etc. whatever may obsess you.  

I remember years ago, after I had started exercising on a steady basis, a staff member at the YMCA mentioned he know of people who became so obsessed with running (or weights, or whatever)  that they actually had to go “in patient” to break the obsessions since they were losing their jobs etc. over it.  Shortly after that I met someone who spent six hours a day doing some type of exercise and I saw what he meant.  

I never got even close to that point, but I try to observe myself.  Even now, between all of my types of exercising, I easily spend several hours a day on just what I consider light exercise, so it would be easy to take up a lot of time with it.

Hate to see the cold weather coming.  It takes a lot longer to dress for exercise in the morning.  Although it i is only a few minutes, it tends to throw me off of my morning schedule.  

Nice to have one “weekend” and then another “weekend” right after that!  I intend to enjoy it!

That’s it for now, Saturday, October 3, 2015

No comments: