Sunday, October 18, 2015

Fall 2015 October 18 Sunday


57 degrees this morning, walk 38:55 minutes

Sunday morning, the weekend goes fast!  

I decided to write a letter to the City Councilmember for my area, the Mayor and City Manager on the policy of the City that allows commercial to intrude so much on residential areas.

The intrusion  of commercial signs and commercial activities on residential areas is so blatant and displays such a crude lack of planning, and worse, concern for residents.  

Don’t know if it will do any good or not, but I figure if I don’t say anything no one will ever know how I feel about it.  

What really dismays me is that this is a city wide problem and the city has so little concern about it.  

They spend billions of dollars on “downtown” and “image”, but ignore the residents who really make up the city!

Anyway, I’ll see what happens.  One advantage I have is I am persistent, and I will continue documenting this disgrace to the city.  

Probably have spent my last early morning on the patio (at least the outside patio), the cold weather has settled in along with the cold wind.  

I will need to figure out how the fireplace works on the covered portion of the patio!

Reading a book about “disruption”  (Jan Bamit, “Disrupt You!”.  After I get through all of the authors bragging of how great he is (a lot of the book can be skimmed, he is very proud of himself!), there are a few good ideas.  

I don’t know if I can use the ideas anymore, but perhaps I can.  If I don’t find the ideas I will never use them!  A lot of it is “Power of Positive Thinking” concept that is hardly new!  

Not that I feel the “Power of Positive Thinking” is wrong or trivial.  In fact, I am a strong believer in “positive self talk”, positive role play etc. to develop positive results.  It is just the author repeats this in the book ad nauseam.  like it is something he thought up. 

Someone once told me that most self help books are just common sense or commonly known ideas, someone just has learned to package it a little different or somehow market it different.  

In the case of the this book, he doesn’t even do that, but anyway, he has a few ideas (not that I think of it its may be the way he presents old information) that are worth while looking at.  

Maybe that is the reason I read a lot fewer books now.  Most of the novels are simply rehashes and many of the non-fiction books are rehashes and don’t really present any new ideas or information.  

I found that the $50 kindle is worth about what I paid for it, or maybe less.  It is basically a marketing machine for Amazon junk, books, music etc.  It won’t accept any apps except those that help sell Amazon stuff etc., and is rather slow.  

The area where it is well worth the money is it’s audio book reader and probably it’s e-books if you buy Amazon e-books anyway (I don’t).  May be good for music, but I haven’t tried that out yet.  

Probably be good if you need a simple e-mail iPad for e-mail etc., especially if you are where you might break it or lose it.  

Otherwise, is nothing but  marketing machine for Amazon.   Won’t even accept the app “WeChat” etc. and many other common apps unless somehow it promotes Amazon.  Another disappointment from Amazon, what else is new?


That’s it for now, Sunday, October 18, 2015. 

No comments: