Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Fall 2015 October 13 Tuesday


53 degrees this morning, walk 37:57 minutes

The saga of the “video bulletin board” continues.  It has become a subject on “NextDoor.com”, thank goodness.  I think NextDoor.com is monitored by the city, so maybe they will get some feedback on the extremely poor planning and lack of protection for the residents the city provides.

I’ve notice now that the strip shopping center in back of the (same block) of houses now are having bright lights that also shine right into the back of the block of houses.

NextDoor.com noted last night that the large video billboard was malfunctioning and I was pleased notice this morning that the entire bulletin board was out and it as no longer “videoing” . (No, I didn’t do it.  I admit I had some dreams about it, but I don’t believe in that kind of action.!)

I am writing a letter to our Council Member (they have the ward system here), with a copy to the Mayor and City Manager about the poor planning of the city and especially the lack of protection for residents from commercial construction.  

I also plan on contacting Sonic about their intrusive sign and lighting.  Nothing against Sonic food, but I’m not a “car eater” or a “take out and eat at home” person, so I can’t threaten to quit doing business with them. 

If I”m going to pay a normal price for a meal, I’m going to sit down and eat it, not eat in my car or take it home.  

Actually, I am surprised at how people RHW  “drive thru” and “take out” both from restaurants, banks, laundrys etc.  I almost never use drive thru’s, although I have gotten to the point that the few times I go to the bank, I use the drive thru more often than not. 

I almost never use any other type of drive thru.  I don’t like to eat in my car and I’ve learned from experience not to drink coffee in my car (I’ve ruined a few good shirts doing that!).  

Actually, I just realized that I do eat in my car, almost always, when I am “in the field” on my current job.  I bring along a “nature bar” and a small container of almonds/cashews/peanuts (unsalted!) and eat it while I am driving.  

I rarely eat more than that, other than an occasional ice cream cone at McDonalds when I have to stop for a rest break!  

When I am “in the field”, it is just too intense to stop for lunch.  It is hard to explain, but it is just a feeling that you have to finish as much as possible in the shortest possible time, primarily because you never know how much  time the next case may take. 

I always take as much time as necessary with each person.

Thinking about recycling this morning, with the disdain and poor recycling record of the city we live in (20% versus recycling rates of 80% for surrounding cities!) and their failure to provide proper containers (in a windy area, they have “open” containers and won’t allow lids!) and recycle much of anything other than paper and plastic, recycling is really a joke.

I notice I am now throwing cardboard (they don’t recycle cardboard, they are so prehistoric) away without even really thinking about it, so when they city really doesn’t care, it affects everything! 

Actually, trees do tend to recycle themselves, but it still takes a lot of energy etc. to cut and process new trees.

I have read articles about how recycling may not save that much money, but I think the effort is worth it, if nothing else it makes you think of conserving resources.  Or something like that. 

Something strange happened yesterday.  I got out of my car in the mall parking lot with the Apple Store when my iPhone (the 5, not the 6) quit working with the message “no sim card” (or something like that).  I went directly to the Apple Store and got it fixed!  

Actually, they just reset it, which I probably would have done if I hadn’t been so close to the Apple Store.  However, they did advise me this shouldn’t happen, so I need to get it checked out.

This was my work iPhone, which I use a lot, so I probably will be looking to go ahead and upgrade.  Now that I am forced to do so….


That’s it for now, Tuesday, October 13, 2015.

No comments: