Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Fall 2015 October 21 Wednesday



65 degrees this morning, walk 38:47 minutes

Today (October 21) is the day I first started work on my first full time with the City of Liberal, Kansas, many, many years ago.  Actually it doesn’t seem all that long ago!  It start a very rewarding and interesting career with cities and local government! 

I woke up early that morning and went out and drove around the city, learning what I could about it.  

My “tire light” came on again.  Sometimes I really hate the “low tire pressure” light.  It is something I can’t ignore, so it involves taking the car in to check the tires.  

So far it has happened four times, one time just sudden cold weather, and three times a nail, piece of wire etc., one time involving buying a completely new tire due to tire damage.  

The next time I buy tires, I will buy the road hazard warranty.  The “extended warranty’s” may be major rip offs in most cases, except they do seem to keep trouble away so you never have a claim! 

I’ve always wondered why they can’t make better “puncture proof” car tires like they do bicycle tires.  I have to respect a tire that can go 100,000 miles, but I wonder why they can’t make a puncture proof one?  

Something I need to research when I have time.  

Of course, what it means is that my entire morning schedule is ruined in having to get the car out to have the tires checked etc.  In this case, they also need to install an “update” on my GPS system which hopefully will make it work like what I originally thought I was getting when I bought the car!  

While I basically really like the car, I am disappointed in the Toyota lack of quality and followup.  The dealership itself has been fine, it is just the car isn’t near the quality I expected in a Toyota, at least as far as the fender, GPS etc. are concerned.  

In the same manner, I was going upgrade my Macbook Air to the next operating system, but I happened to read of the problems it was creating, so I decided to pass.  I have to wonder why computer companies, car companies, television companies etc. rush to release products with major bugs and charge full price for it?

I suddenly noticed how the leaves on the trees were turning.  While it appears to be laster than usual, it is starting and soon I expect the leaves will be falling.  While I realize it has been going on for awhile, it seems like it happens literally “overnight”!

In the process of deciding on the “benefit package” (health insurance etc.) for 2016.  Went to a meeting yesterday on it.  Basically for us, it is fairly simple since, as I mentioned, we like our Health Insurance and Dental Insurance.  (They also provide a reasonably good life insurance and disability plan, although I don’t like to think of  having to use them!)  

Our only really decision is what to do about vision insurance.  Our current plan is really nothing more than a sales tool for eyeglass places, but yesterday I did learn of at least one plan that may have benefits we can use.  I have 10 days (until October 30) to decide.

Feels good to get back into a full exercise program again.  I especially enjoy the swimming (which I will miss this morning due to having to take the car in!).  I am hoping it helps my weight control, although I realize only eating less will help control my weight.  

It also feels good to be back to bicycle riding on a regular basis again.  I hopefully will start training to ride in the week-long bicycle trip “Free wheeling” next Summer.  Note I said training for it, not that I am going to participate in it!  

Whether  I participate will depend on a lot of factors including whether I feel I am adequately trained for it, and perhaps more important, if hotel rooms are available within a reasonable distance.  

The idea of “camping out” does not interest me, especially after riding a bicycle for 50 miles in the summer heat!  

While I can literally fall asleep anyplace, that doesn’t mean I want to sleep on the ground!   Although, I expect a good air mattress may not be that bad, I think I will just go for the motel room! 


That’s it for today, Wednesday, October 21, 2015.  

No comments: