Monday, October 19, 2015

Fall 2015 October 19 Monday



60 degrees this morning, Walk 38:04 minutes 

Just thinking this morning how amazing the iPhone (or any similar phone) is.  It isn’t only a personal phone, it also is a clock/watch, alarm clark, message machine, television, game machine,  basically takes the place of exercise watches and devices, e-book reader, access to any information you want immediately,   medical device, music machine, and numerous other things.  

All of this (and more, with apps) in one small little package that is “always” (well 99% of the time) connected to provide any of this information or services!  

All this and, at the minimum, you can get this for a relatively insignificant amount of money for the phone and a monthly fee!  

When you really sit down and think about it, it is amazing.  And then, on top of that, you can get the same thing in almost any size screen you want (if you consider iPads etc.)  

I can remember when cell phones (before smart phones) I would see people literally shaking with delight as they got their first cell phone, (or the latest upgrade) and I think it is even more widespread now.

It is no wonder I see homeless people with a smart phone (they probably need one as bad as anyone, considering how dangerous it is to live on the streets).

In spite of what I said yesterday about novels, I am now spellbound into a novel.  I am reading Lee Child’s latest episode of Jack Reacher “Make Me”.  We are also listening to the novel in the car.

I enjoy listening to the same book I am reading.  I think so some degree “The Medium is the Message” and I process information differently when I hear it versus when I read it.  

While I normally don’t read and listen to a novel at the same time, I do it fairly often of non-fiction books because I seem to retain different things.  

I am doing it now, just for my own enjoyment, again because I tend to retain different things.  

Anyway, the character, Jack Reacher, lives the ultimate “minimalist” life.  He has no home, when he needs a change of clothes, he simply buys new ones and throws away the old ones!  

Actually, considering the cost of clothes, with the cost of cleaning them, that may not be a bad idea!

While I wouldn’t want to live that way, it is rather intriguing to think of someone who has no home, except perhaps where he is at the time.  

Of course, in the books, he has an adventure  every place he stops and in reality, that just won’t happen.  

Also, he apparently has a large cache of money somewhere, or a good retirement (supposedly he is retired military police officer, although he wasn’t in the service 20 years), and when he needs money, he just goes to an ATM machine and gets some!   

Anyway, it makes for enjoyable reading, although I certainly wouldn’t want to live that life style, at least at this phase o my life!  

I am now on 358 of 6,544 of the shuffle cycle on my iPod.  I don’t think this is like the iPod “Shuffles” where a sone is repeated on “shuffle”, I think it is literally going through them one at at time.
A short dream (well, what I remembered was short):

10 18 15 Sunday Dream

Dream during post walk nap. 

Dream Aliene and I were living somewhere in the country.  (House reminded me of a friend of mine when I was a kid, in fact my first friend).

For some reason the cable company people were there. (Actually considering the quality of our cable tv service, that wasn’t unusual).  

Aliene was looking for something and running from room to room looking.  

I don’t remember much else about it except that part was very vivid and I woke up thinking it was real.


That’s it for now, Monday, October 19, 2015. 

No comments: