Wednesday, November 05, 2014

Fall 2014 November 5 Wednesday (Library)



46 degrees this morning.   56:20 Minutes walk.    Eight earthquakes in last 24 hours

Plans for Thanksgiving etc. are underway, meaning the holiday season is starting.  That also means that winter will soon be here!

The library system here is really impressive.  They not only have a super selection of books, I can reserve a book over the internet, go the library, find the reserved books on a shelf that has my name on the  reserved books, and check the books out at the “self checkout” areas.  It is amazing what they can do.

I can also borrow e-books and e-magazines and audio books on-line, although I haven’t done it yet.

One thing I didn’t like about Memphis was the way the library system was treated as an afterthought (and I think it showed in the deplorable graduation and crime rate).  While the library staff where we checked books were wonderful, the overall library system in Shelby County was an embarrassment. 

Anyway, it is nice to live an in an area where they value the public library system. 

Preparing my “ice breaker” speech for Toastmasters.  The “ice breaker” is the fist speech of the basic manual.  I decided after 13 years as a “non-practicing Toastmaster”  it would be a good idea to start all over, so I am starting with the basic manual.   

The basic manual is designed to get you started on speaking in a comfortable way.  

It is a great organization and one of these things that you get out what you put into it.  It is a good group and I enjoy going. 

So far, my “work home office” has worked well.  I am trying to set it up so I call move all my files etc. to my car with a minimum of fuss. It may sound strange, but it is difficult to have two offices, especially when one of them is a  car!

Worked my first full day “in the field” by myself yesterday.  I enjoyed it, and learned a few things and learned a few things I realized I didn’t know that I will need to learn!  

Watching a tape of the “Formula One” race in Austin, Texas.  A variety of reasons why I like auto racing.  

I like the announcers for the Formula One races because they take the attitude of the fan and are still surprised and amazed at events  (they are prone to yell -“look at that” etc.-it is just fun and not an irritation like the world series announcers were).  

Still listening to “Lonesome Dove” on my walk.  While it is not necessarily the type of book I normally listen too, or even read, it is an amazingly well-written and interesting book.  I am checking the book out of the library so I can read some of the quotes I heard.  That is the major problem with audiobooks, I can’t ponder some of the quotes.  If  I try, I lose the flow of the book while I am thinking about it.

This is probably going to be a “home office” day as I prepare for Thursday and Friday to be “field days”.  

That’s it for now, Wednesday, November 5, 2014

46 degrees this morning.   56:20 Minutes walk.    Eight earthquakes in last 24 hours

Plans for Thanksgiving etc. are underway, meaning the holiday season is starting.  That also means that winter will soon be here!

The library system here is really impressive.  They not only have a super selection of books, I can reserve a book over the internet, go the library, find the reserved books on a shelf that has my name on the  reserved books, and check the books out at the “self checkout” areas.  It is amazing what they can do.

I can also borrow e-books and e-magazines and audio books on-line, although I haven’t done it yet.

One thing I didn’t like about Memphis was the way the library system was treated as an afterthought (and I think it showed in the deplorable graduation and crime rate).  While the library staff where we checked books were wonderful, the overall library system in Shelby County was an embarrassment. 

Anyway, it is nice to live an in an area where they value the public library system. 

Preparing my “ice breaker” speech for Toastmasters.  The “ice breaker” is the fist speech of the basic manual.  I decided after 13 years as a “non-practicing Toastmaster”  it would be a good idea to start all over, so I am starting with the basic manual.   

The basic manual is designed to get you started on speaking in a comfortable way.  

It is a great organization and one of these things that you get out what you put into it.  It is a good group and I enjoy going.  

So far, my “work home office” has worked well.  I am trying to set it up so I call move all my files etc. to my car with a minimum of fuss. It may sound strange, but it is difficult to have two offices, especially when one of them is a  car!

Worked my first full day “in the field” by myself yesterday.  I enjoyed it, and learned a few things and learned a few things I realized I didn’t know that I will need to learn!  

Watching a tape of the “Formula One” race in Austin, Texas.  A variety of reasons why I like auto racing.  

I like the announcers for the Formula One races because they take the attitude of the fan and are still surprised and amazed at events  (they are prone to yell -“look at that” etc.-it is just fun and not an irritation like the world series announcers were).  

Still listening to “Lonesome Dove” on my walk.  While it is not necessarily the type of book I normally listen too, or even read, it is an amazingly well-written and interesting book.  I am checking the book out of the library so I can read some of the quotes I heard.  That is the major problem with audiobooks, I can’t ponder some of the quotes.  If  I try, I lose the flow of the book while I am thinking about it.

This is probably going to be a “home office” day as I prepare for Thursday and Friday to be “field days”.  

That’s it for now, Wednesday, November 5, 2014





                                                                
                           


No comments: