Thursday, November 13, 2014

Fall 2014 November 13 Thursday (Cold, Cars and Audiobooks)



25 degrees this morning.  44:22 minutes walking (shortened due to cold).   three earthquakes in past 24 hours

High yesterday was less than freezing and it didn’t even reach freezing until yesterday!  It really wasn’t too bad unless you got caught where the wind was blowing. 

Checked on nitrogen for tires.  A lot of claims, no proof, but big profits for car dealers. Just what I  expected.  Plus air is 85% nitrogen (or something like that), so you are paying a lot for a little.  Some dealers even charge $6-15 per tire to air them up!  

The next time a car dealer tries that trick, I’ll just refuse to pay for it or buy a car with such an unneeded “option” unless they take it off.  

In addition to other aggravations, the dealer didn’t bother to send the title (supposedly it was mailed “yesterday”) even though I have to have the new tag by November 17 (mailed the 12th, which gives me very little time considering the weekend).  

Although it probably will be  considerable time before I buy a another car!  I plan on keeping this one (and our other one) for a considerable time.   I do like the car.

Car dealers aren’t the only ones who gold plate items to rip off people. Probably they are the most arrogant about it.

Good day “in the field” today.  I stretched my comfort zone in several areas and I think it worked out well, so it will be easier for me in the future.  

I am reminded of when I first started riding a bike (as an adult).  When I started avoiding hills, I quickly realized if i didn’t try a hill, I would never be able to ride one (at least that specific one), so I started making a point of riding up hills!  

I read about the summit in Beijing, and I remember a lot about China.  I really thought by now it would all be an unreal memory, but I remember many things in a vivid way and I still hope to return sometime.

Of course, it will be different, just as our first visit to Shanghai was much different than our second visit (We landed in Shanghai, and left from Shanghai.)

I am really glad we took the plunge and did some “private” tours,(with a private guide).  It is much more suited to our pace and interests.  

We first realized this in Washington D.C.  We didn’t have a lot of time there, we hired a private guide for a morning and were able to see most of the major sights in Washington DC and some extra items (such as Lincoln’s Summer House) that most tours didn’t cover.  

Working in my home office today.  I have a lot of administrative work to get done, including some new procedures that it will take ma a while to complete.  I always get a feeling of satisfaction when I complete it and know I have learned another procedure.  

“Finished” Lonesome Dove, in the sense that when it downloaded, it left out large parts (or rather got them out of order) so I heard the last part of the book without hearing large sections of it.  It was an excellent book.  If I ever have time, I plan on  reading it, or if I can find an inexpensive copy, I may just buy it and read a little each day.  

I am behind about ten books in my  reading.  One “problem” is that I try to get many of my books from the library, and I tend to read the library books I have checked out first. There is one good aspect, by the time I get around to reading some of the books, they are available at the library.  

After having to get rid of a lot of books (fortunately the library here wants donations), I really hesitate to purchase books, although I do, and we do buy some “e-books”.  It is a lot lighter to carry them!


That’s it for now, Thursday, November 13, 2014.  

No comments: