Friday, November 14, 2014

Fall 2014 November 14 Friday (Gretchin: Cable TV, Car Dealers, Banks etc.)



24 degrees this morning.  44:10  minutes walking .  Five  earthquakes in past 24 hours (one 3.8)

Friday already!  I am already tired of the cold weather and winter isn’t even really started yet!  I guess I will appreciate the warm weather when it is here.  

Going “in the field” today, leaving early.  

We had a technician for cable tv come out.  Basically, he advised that the system just doesn’t work as claimed and they have no way to repairing it.  

Makes you wonder about the ethics of the cable company when they knowingly make claims they know their equipment can’t really do and their technicians don’t know how to fix.  

That is one reason I take a lot of claims with a large number of grains of salt, so to speak.  So many times, the claims have very little relationship to reality.  

I like the idea of getting away from cable tv, there is just so much I never will watch that I know they can strong arm the cable companies into paying for even though only a small percentage of people watch it. 
I call the MLB and NLF “greeds” for their greedy attempts to force cable companies to pay for their junk networks.  I doubt if anyone watches it, except for maybe the occasional game, yet they charge premium fees for it that the cable networks feel  pressured to pay.  The content can’t  cost much. 

It is almost extortion that I have to pay for the NFL and MLB networks, and who knows what else.  Except that I don’t “have” to have cable tv, and I can understand why more and more people are doing without it.  

I think dealing with the car dealers (even though it was supposed to be a “no bargaining” price through the internet), has made me hyper-sensitive to price gouging and games businesses pay to cheat consumers.   I feel like I got taken by a greedy car dealer.  

I am going to have an attorney the next time I buy a car.  I’ll rather pay an attorney than get cheated by a car dealer. I am going to make sure the attorney reviews every single piece of paper I sign and sits in on every discussion.

Same with buying a house.  We occasionally talk about buying a house, but the fees and games they pay to cheat you out of money  for “closing costs” and other games made me want to avoid the whole process.  Of course, we are finding out the negatives about being a “tenant”, which is why we are thinking about buying a house!

I guess the only way to win is to live in a tent someplace or maybe in an RV.  (Not really, I am not an RV type person, and I know Aliene isn’t either!) 

I guess I”ll just have to deal with the games and make sure I at least minimize the price gouging.  

On the bright side, at least I am somewhat aware  of some of the games and am able to avoid some of the more obvious scams and price gouging.  Doesn’t make me feel any better about getting taken advantage of, but….

Such as my thoughts as winter weather comes in!  

On the bright side, I have a warm place to live, a job I enjoy and at least adequate money to live more that “a life of quiet desperation’  (or something like that).  As the song goes, I don’t have enough for what I think I want, but I have enough for what I need.

Maybe in the future, I can make a point to getting someplace warm for a week or so in the winter.  Of course, also on the bright side, it snowed in Memphis, but not here!  Of course in Memphis, they shut down even if snow is forecast.

I promise to be more positive tomorrow!

That’s it for now, Friday, November 14, 2014






No comments: