Tuesday, November 04, 2014

Fall 2014 November 4 Tuesday (Smoke Alarms & Audiobooks)


48 degrees this morning.    rain, no walk.    six earthquakes in last 24 hours including  one in an area where there hasn’t been one before.

Smoke alarm manufactures must be sadists.  They design their smoke alarms to start “beeping” about low batteries at 2 a.m. in the morning at the worst possible time and of course they are always almost impossible to find and change the battery!

Somehow, surely there is a better system than one that you destroy the smoke detector to stop the beeping!  (That didn’t really happen, I just took the battery out).  Of course, they make sure that somehow they keep on beeping.  

There simply has to be a better system than for the smoke alarm to start a mindless beeping at 2 am. in the morning.  

Light rain started last night (Monday). Rain, so didn’t walk but I probably needed a break.  I actually walk 7 days per week unless it is raining.  It is a light rain, just slightly too heavy to walk anyway.

I enjoy my walk and my day seems slightly off-balance when I don’t walk.  I always think, “an extra hour to do what I want”, and then I piddle it away! 

I think some of the commitment comes from the fact I like to listen to audiobooks and this is the only time I listen to that specific book.

We do listen to audiobooks in the car (we used to have a lot of time while driving) but it is the only time we listen to that book.

We are currently listening to “The Goldfinch” in the car and it is more fascinating that I expected.  

I assume there is a difference in the way we “listen” as opposed to actually “reading” a book.  There have been times when I listened to a book and also read it at the same time, and I was always surprised at the different meanings I got in the separate ways of “reading” a book.  

I guess the ears and eyes are separate in the way they “read” books.

Election today.  It will be interesting to see who wins.  I really am glad the city we live in doesn’t have the election the same day as the state/national elections.  It always distorts local issues, which are usually more important than many of the national issues.  

I always thought it was strange that residents pay the least attention to the local issues that actually affect their daily lives the most.

Watching “The Roosevelts” some more, as it goes over the ‘Great Depression” years.  While I have read about it, it is interesting to review again just how damaging the “Great Depression” was and the number of people who didn’t have a job and didn’t really have anything.

Going out “in the field” today.  It is always interesting and never goes like I expect it to.  That is the time I probably learn the most!  I have several new activities scheduled for today and I expect I will learn something during the day!

There is a lot of “field work” involved, but also a lot of paperwork, as we have to document every action several times for future reference.  

Toastmasters last night, one of the speakers responses to Table Topics reminded me of the t shirt I used to have (or at least I haven’t seen it for awhile) that said “Do what terrifies you, everything else is boring”!  

One of the things I enjoy about Toastmasters is the different ideas expressed there, but I especially enjoy seeing the growth of the members as many progress form almost an inability to speak in public to accomplished speakers, or at least good speakers.


That’s it for now, Tuesday, November 4, 2014

No comments: