Monday, November 03, 2014

Fall 2014 November 3 Monday (Trees, Books Work)



54 degrees this morning.    56:17 minute walk,   One earthquake in last 24 hours.

Cooler weather hit with a vengeance Sunday, with wind and cool weather all day.  Really not all that bad but a major change. Supposedly rain is coming this (Monday) afternoon and all day tomorrow.

It seems most years in mid-October to mid-November, the rains come, usually knocking the last of the leaves off of the trees.

Strange, but I haven’t noticed the trees turning this year. Maybe it’s because, compared to Memphis, there are no trees here!  Probably one of the things I miss the most, driving down the streets with a tree canopy hanging over the street.  

To be honest, right now I can’t think of any trees I have seen, because I rarely see any.  If there are trees, they are short, not like the tall stately trees of Tennessee.   

Strange, I hadn’t thought until now of the fact I haven’t noticed any trees turning an edit is already November.  

Years ago, I remember when it snowed on Halloween.  It was on a weekend, and I sat and read “Bright Lights, Big City” straight through.  I probably haven’t read a book straight through since.

When I was younger (until probably I was in my mid-twenties), I used to stay up all night reading a book, at least on Friday and Saturday.  Now, I still love to read, but I tend to read 3 or 4 books at a time and not one straight through.  

Start my “home office” today.  Plan to work in the office on research Monday (today) go out in the field Tuesday.  Although bad weather is predicted, a large portion of my visits Tuesday are at a mall, so that should work out.  

It is a psychological feeling.  I normally don’t do any work ahead of time, but at the time, (normally 7:30 a.m.),  I simply go ahead and walk into my home office and shut the door and start work.  It is almost like a commute, a very short one, but I still feel psychologically “at work” when the time comes.

A lot of the work involves the computer and calling/e-mailing etc. as part of the research, so it is easy to make the transformation.  As soon as I sign in, I am “at work”.  

Normally, I will work in my home office two days a week and be in the field (with some office work), three days per week.  

Still working on a filing system which will do what I need in the office as well as “in the field”.  

Walked this morning, still listening to “Lonesome Dove”.  I have become very involved in the story.  It is an interesting book with a lot of interesting characters and situations.  

Lonesome Dove really illustrates the dangers at that time.  People have died by running into a water moccasin nest, having a horse fall on them, of course shot and stabbed, killed by lightning and illness. 

I don’t recall how long the audio book is, but I expect I am about 50% through.  I believe this is the first novel I have listened to while walking.  (I have listened to novels while driving etc.)

Since I use my walking for meditation and thinking through problems, I wasn’t sure if I could listen to a novel and keep up with it, but I find I can do both. 

Prior to this, I listened only to non-fiction.

Watching the “Roosevelts”, which we taped earlier this year.  It is a well done program and provides some excellent information on that period of our history as well as the persons who were responsible for the decisions in that time.  It was amazing how they met the personal challenges as well as the challenges of the time.

Started reading “A History of Future Cities” by Daniel Brook.  I don’t know if I will continue of not, but it appears promising.  

That’s it for now, Monday, November 3, 2014.  (Hard to believe it is already November of 2014!)










No comments: