Saturday, July 25, 2015

Summer 2015 July 25 Saturday



77 degrees this morning, 38:20 minute walk 

Sitting out on the patio with that cooling breeze.  

I need to bring some of the toads out in front back here to take care of some of the bugs, although right now with the breeze it is nice and the bugs aren’t out.  

Last night I saw the toads (there are at least two of them that come out for a late buffet of bugs every night after dark.  There tongues are FAST!  I don’t even see their tongues move, but the bug is gone!  

Listening to “The Innovators” again on my walk, and it is just as interesting as the first time, as I pick up new ideas to think about.

He mentions that computers won’t truly be “like humans” until they have a “sense of consciousness”, perhaps a sense of their own uniqueness.  

I look at that as something like a child who starts to develop her own identity, a process that starts as a baby and then probably continues until adults and probably continues all of your life as you develop a sense of who you are. 

I think “partnering” with machines is probably a a lot better concept than trying to make machines “human”.  There are things a machine can do a lot better than I do, but there are some things I (in the universal sense of human beings) can do that it doesn't make any sense to even try to make a machine do it.

The book mentions that in a chess contest were humans and computers are “partners”, the best Grandmaster doesn’t win, nor does the most powerful or “smart” computer.  The winner is always the  humans who understand how to utilize the computer the best.  

Of course, his entire book is about how “partnering”, including using techniques from all fields, including art, science etc., are the integration of these are the major contribution to innovation.  

Yesterday we had a “pizza party” at our house  I am always amazed when everything goes right.  On a Friday evening (where everyone driving seems to go nuts), I had a easy trip to pick up pizzas from two places, and in each place a car pulled out from right in front of the store as I drove up, so I had a parking place right in front of the store!  Then I het almost all the lights green on the way back.

We are pleased that our house proved  to be very suitable for this type of event.

We are rather puzzled by the fact that ten light bulbs have burned out since we moved in.  Ten light bulbs seems like a lot and we have mentioned it to the builder as a possible electrical defect, if nothing else so we have a record of it.  Ten light bulbs burned out in one month is  lot.

We are using one of my pet projects, LED bulbs where it is appropriate to do so (where the bulbs are lit for long periods, since as my office, the garage etc.)

Another dream 


Dream 7 24 15

Intense dream about 3 former employees.  I was somewhere  and I called them to have breakfast with two of them.  After breakfast, I was driving them to our motel room to see Aliene and ended up getting lost in some area with large houses.

I used my GPS  to find the way to the hotel, but somehow ended up with them in a large basement where you parked and walked underground.

I was driving  when I realized I just had my wrap around and shirt on that I put on after I take a shower.

I was supposed to meet them for breakfast after I got  dressed.  Somehow I couldn’t find my way out of the basement and realized it was 7:30 a.m. and too late to have breakfast.

At the end of the dream, I heard the voice of another former employee and turned around.  He kept on walking and then turned around and said my name, when i woke up.

Setting was in some kind of valley, the building was like one of those big old high schools except it had a huge basement area.

The dream was very real, although the setting was very unreal.  When I woke up, I was very surprised it was a dream.


That’s it for now, Saturday, July 25, 2015.

No comments: