Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Summer 2015 July 21 Tuesday



73 degrees this morning.  No walk, thunderstorm and rain.

Summer thunderstorm came in last night and is basically still on-going,at least a light rain and still lightning and thunder.  

I decided it is time to concentrate on losing weight again.  I have basically been at my current weight for about 4 years, and it is time to resume losing weight.  

While exercise helps you lose weight, or perhaps maintain weight, I believe the only way to really lose weight is to eat less on a continuous basis.   I don’t plan on any extreme weight losses, but I would like to go back to losing a pound every several weeks.

It is strange what motivates people.  In my case, I happened to see a reflection of myself in a door (perhaps it was somewhat distorted), but it helped me resolve to eat just a little less. 

My main approach will be to just not eat when I start to feel full and to avoid carbs as much as possible  

I used to use “iWeb” a lot until it stopped being supported by Apple  I switched to “Wordpress”, but really haven’t done a lot with it.

I have my chance now, a local community college is having a 15 hour short course in Wordpress and it actually is on dates I am free.

What surprised me was the thought of spending 3 hours per night, twice a night for two weeks (actually 2 1/2 weeks) doesn’t really appeal to me, in fact i rather dread it.  

Since I used to love to take courses and for years I frequently worked at least 3 nights per weeks in meetings etc., I am surprised in a way at my reaction.  

Anyway, I do need to learn more about Wordpress.  I am currently in that stage where I don’t want to do a lot more since I may not be able to get back to where I am now, if that makes any sense.  

Currently I use it as a small web page and a place for my blog.  I could do so much more on it, which is why I want to take the course.  

As I mentioned, I used to take college courses all the time, just out of curiosity, but haven’t since the last course I took in “Technical Writing”.  

Perhaps the access to almost unlimited information, or actually the information is truly unlimited since I have access to more information about any subject than I will ever use on the internet.  The fact that I can just put in a phrase and get 10 million responses (or whatever) means I have more access to information than I will ever need already.

There is something rewarding about being able to pick up an encyclopedia  or dictionary and just leaf  through it, but the same thing can be done on the internet.  
Probably one trend that annoys me more than anything is the passing of “neutral” journalism.  Now, it is all about pushing your opinion (or the opinion of the person who pays the most) instead of just what the “news” is.  

Nothing wrong with stating opinions or lobbying for change, but just don’t disguise it as “news”!  

I think that correlates with the “extremist” candidate pattern I have noted.  Instead of “serving the community”  (or state etc.) as candidates and elected officials used to do, there has been a big trend to extreme positions, or more likely, “single issue” politics, with lobbyists paying big dollars for favorable laws and decisions.

One of those things I can’t do a lot about, so I won’t worry about it.  Just saves me time as I quit reading and watching “news” that appears to be one big informercial.


That’s it for now, Tuesday, July 21, 2015.

No comments: