Monday, April 28, 2014

Spring 2014 April 28 Monday

73 degrees this morning.  Rain during walk, drove to ATC.
Heavy rains, tornado sirens went off, but really not that severe, apparently going to be stormy.  At least I feel Spring is here now for sure, with tornado activity!
Monday morning.  I have become a loyal fan of CNBC and especially "Jim Cramer and Mad Money".  I don't sit and watch it as such, but just have it on, so I miss a lot, but see some of the highlights or breaking news.  (I don't like some of the programs, so I turn it off, with "Squawk Box" and "Mad Money" being my favorites.  My secret vice of Country Music videos early in the morning continues!  Of course this morning I switched over to the news when the tornado sirens went off.  
Finalized our contract on the house yesterday.  I assume the inspections etc. follow.  All we need is for the storm to cause some storm damage during this process!  If it all goes through, we will be moving in late June. 
We actually got a coupon for toner just when our toner went out!  How lucky is that!  Toner hardly ever goes on sale, since you normally buy it when you need it regardless of price.  
Planning to go the Redbirds bell game tonight, probably will transfer the tickets now.  The Redbirds have this really neat program that allows you to transfer your tickets to another game if you can't attend (I think it is a national program called "Ticket Return", and it is really great.)  That is the main reason we buy a "half season" ticket.  (I just bought one ticket and transfer tickets so we actually have two tickets for games we want to go to.)  
Speaking of CNBC, I remember when I first got interested in the stock market when I was in the 8th Grade.  I have always been fascinated by the action, I assume, and the psychology of why it goes up or down.  I actually new about the "flash trading", I read about it several years ago, but it was presented then a just another technological advancement.  Of course, they didn't say anything bout the opportunity for someone to actually preview someones trade and increase the price to them.  It was presented as a way to benefit from "inefficiencies" in the various markets.  I don't think an "inefficiency" includes being able to see what someone is trading and stealing from them by increasing the price!  
I actually read Michael Lewis (author of Flash Boys) years ago, but really noticed his book "The Blind Side" because of the Memphis connection.  I was actually listening on the local public radio station and heard a brief excerpt from the book and bought and read it before it became a movie.  It was a fascinating book as all of his books are.  
That's it for now.  Monday, April 28, 2014

No comments: