Monday, April 21, 2014

Spring 2014 April 21 Monday

61 degrees this morning.  Warm is getting here!
Interesting story about "bots" (as bots on the Internet, Facebook, Twitter etc.).  I was aware of them before and aware that a large amount of people on social media are actually "bots", but I was surprised at how widespread the story said they are.  For example for a nominal amount you could "buy" 10,000 "friends" on Facebook, or 10,000 followers on Twitter etc.  
The story also mentioned that many "bots" are not programed to have names like people (John Doe, rather than "Doe 4y199yy98" and "speak" like humans and also shut down for "sleep" periods etc.  I almost never "talk" with a person (or a bot) on the the internet I don't know or for business reasons, but I expect even then I may have "talked" with a bot, which is strange feeling.  I can see where a bot could be used to increase business and fake "clicks" on ads etc.  A different world.  
Good day yesterday, we had dinner at a friends house and it was a beautiful day.  
We may finalize a purchase contract on the house today.  If we do, closing is still so far off (in late June) that it appears an unreality.  We wanted to maintain flexibility depending on where I might end up with a job etc.  In any event, we want to get out of a "no-service, 'none city" city that Lakeland has turned into, even if we just move across the street to Memphis.  We absolutely love the house and hate to leave.
The forest in back of our house gets greener every day.  It is a wonderful sight to see.
I like to tape the "Formula One" race and watch it early in the morning.  I like the fact it isn't a super long race, and I love the announcers!  They are so human in their announcing and throw an entire new light into the race. The race yesterday was in Shanglai, but if they hadn't told me, I would never have known it (other than some China flags flying).
The start of a new week.  I love to monitor the stock market, and I have ever since I was in the 8th grade.  It is difficult not to have CNBC on all the time!  
I am looking forward to the Tennessee City Managers Association (TCMA) conference, they are having a session on "Leadership Lessons from Lincoln" based on President Lincoln.  I have read a lot about Lincoln, so I am looking forward to the sessions.  It will be a good review.
Approaching some major decisions in the next several months.  One of those moments in life when you make a decision for better or worse and live with it, or not.
That's it for now.

No comments: