Saturday, April 19, 2014

Spring 2014 April 19 Saturday

50 degrees this morning.  
Obviously April 19 will never be the same after April 19, 1995.  Trite as it sounds, I literally can remember is "almost as if it were yesterday" and I still get a chill down my back when I think of the moment (I was in the Police Department in Harrah, Oklahoma) when the helicopter came around to the side of the most damage and literally everyone was speechless.  I also remember the next month as almost a continuous sends of unreality.  News stations satellite dishes, search lights lighting the rescue attempts 24 hours per day, military troops and tanks in downtown Oklahoma City.  Calling friends who lived near to see if they were ok, hearing stories of survival and death.  On that Wednesday, there was a metro City Manager's meeting about a mile form the site.  For some reason that day (no premonition, I think I was just busy), I didn't go.  Although I didn't always go, occasionally after the meeting I would go swimming at the YMCA cata-corner from the Murrah Building, which would put me turning at the corner next to the Murrah Building at around 9:01 a.m.  Little decisions can affect your life.  Of course, there were many stories of survivors who stepped out to to to restroom and everyone else in the room was killed etc.    I remember it rained for weeks after that, almost like nature was crying, until Mother's Day on May 12 when the sun came out.
Looks like it will be a beautiful day today. I am in my "second place" (Starbucks) enjoying a cup of coffee.
We are currently trying to decide on how to proceed with our house, whether to accept a sales offer etc.  Obviously, it will be a major life decision, but it will allow flexibility as to future jobs etc.  We love the house and hate to think of leaving it.
Wonderful day today, a little cool right now, but should warm up.
Listening to the Chinese language tapes in the morning.  I am thinking of checking on YouTube for tapes in the Chinese language so I can get accustomed the the cadence and pace of the language.  Maybe even get some Chinese children's songs or audio books so I can (maybe) understand a word here and there.  Listening to the Chinese language tapes has been interesting, not sure if I'm actually going to to speak anything understandable, but it has been enjoyable.  
I am planning on making my "ride with the summer" next year, "Ride with the Summer 2015" has a certain ring to it.  I check on some longer multi-day rides this year to get ready and all of them I have conflicts, so I guess it was not meant to be.  Oklahoma and Kansas are on the same days (and conflict with the CMA Fest) and the Tennessee one conflicts with another meeting! 
I have decided when I get a job, i am going to reward myself with a new bike, maybe even an "electric assist" bike (although i feel like a bit of a pansy), probably a Trek, and maybe a mountain bike.  Or when my ship comes in or whatever.  Considering I paid about $800 for my current bike and have used it almost daily for 8 years, with maybe another $300 for maintenance (new chain, brakes, a new tire etc.), it has really been a bargain.  
Have VPN set up, hope it works.
That's it for now.

No comments: