Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Spring 2014 April 23 Wednesday

55 degrees this morning.
I have become very frustrated with web sites that arbitrarily  change your password (without bothering to advise you and then say "ha ha, we did it for security reasons")  or try to force me to use a certain password format that I will never remember (capital letter, special symbol etc.).  I recognize the importance of security, but if I can never access the site, it doesn't do a lot of good either.  I never would normally use special symbols so I make sure I only use one special symbol, which doesn't make it very secure anyway.  
Along with that are programs that try to do too much for me.  For example, in Safari,   I am effectively blocked from accessing several web sites since Safari feels it knows better than I do what I want to access.  I assume there is a fix, but I get very tired of taking the time for it.  Something that is supposed to save time actually costs me time.  Gmail is horrible   for doting that, the "threads" Gmail tried to impose on me cost me hours trying to undue the mess it made. Not to speak of all the junk mail from Amazon with"recommendations" that I have absolutely no desire to purchase.  Amazon has even started a "local purchase" program, which defines "local" as 8 hours away!  Tennessee is a very long state!  Still in Tennessee, but hardly local and it does make me wonder about their research.
Getting ready for a meeting this afternoon and tomorrow.  It should be a good meeting. 
Speaking of internet security, Aliene's e-mail got "spoofed" yesterday.  We hope no one got taken by the idiot who did it.  Apparently a lot of AOL accounts were used to send out spam.  I tried to explain the difference between "spoof" and "hacked" and couldn't, so I asked an expert for the difference!  At least I will learn something from it!  (After I wrote this, I was advised that her account was probably both "spoofed" and "hacked".  I changed passwords, but it is kind of like closing the door after the cow is out.
Beautiful day today.  I had the opportunity to go swimming this morning, which always makes for a good start! I love to bicycle and go to the gym, but occasionally is nice to do something else, especially in a nice pool.  Hopefully sometime I'll have a facility where I can both bicycle and swim.
Ordered some business cards (in English and Chinese the meeting today and tomorrow.  When they didn't come today, I checked the tracking number and found they had been promptly delivered to the wrong place, about 3 hours away, which won't do me a lot of good!  
To make matters worse, I found that my "Mac mail" has been holding up some important e-mails in the "Outbox", which may cost me the chance at a good job.  So much for Mac mail, I"m sticking with Gmail, Yahoo and maybe the new Outlook.  Gmail for some reason has been changing my password almost daily which has been frustrating.  Anyway, that's the way the world is.
That's it for today. 

No comments: