Sunday, April 27, 2014

Spring 2014 April 27 Sunday

63 degrees this morning.  Excellent morning for walk and cycling.
Still thinking about the person I met who I feel was "burned out".  I expect it is difficult to work out of that.  I wonder if "burned out" is basically the same thing as depression?  I wonder if spending too much of your time on one aspect of your life is the reason for "burnout", or is it a complex issue of caring to much and other factors?  I think a lack of balance in your life could be a factor, but that is hard to determine while you are in the race.  A good reason to take some "time out" occasionally.  Not the time out like I have had the past five months, but maybe another interest or challenge.   Maybe you have to "care, but not that much", as Herb Cohen noted during a presentation on "negotiations" when I saw an ICMA Conference in Chicago in 1994.  I have remembered that quote an said it to myself often (but not out loud!).  It actually has helped in a variety of situations, including getting mad about poor service (just how it it -poor service, whatever-so important that I should get all enraged about it?)  Of course, some things are important and you have to take care of them.
A recent question on an employment application made me think of some of the more life changing presentations I have seen, especially at ICMA conferences. One, I believe in Kansas City was the person who said (this was in the days of the very limited "laptops") said the "so what if it costs $750 and is obsolete in a month, it you get $750 in benefit it was worth it, just buy the more advanced model" (or words to that effect.  Somehow this created a major change in my way of thinking of possessions, the utility of "things", and the cost/benefit of equipment in realistic "service" terms.  I am still learning from this presentation.
Another was Doris Kearns Goodwin's presentation in 1999 on a book she had written about Lyndon Johnson (and at a conference in, I believe, around 2009 in Pittsburg on "Team of Rivals" about Lincoln's leadership).  I immediately read all of her books (well, it took me a year, but I mean I started immediately reading all of her books) and developed a whole new concept of leadership or perhaps the lack of or misuse of leadership and what good leadership really is.  Also, just a very interesting writer.  
Beck Weathers was on the same conference as the first Doris Kearns Goodwin.  Perhaps this relates to the "burnout", he as a Doctor who became obsessed with Mount Everest (or rather the climbing of Mount Everest) and he effectively "woke up" when he was "left for dead"  (literally, the other climbers referred to him as the "dead man in the tent") and lost several fingers and had freeze burn scars on his face.  
My phone keeps beeping with thunderstorm warnings for Oklahoma City.  Probably means bad weather for here later today.
That's it for now.  Sunday, April 27.  Probably add some more, will be an interesting day.

No comments: