Saturday, April 26, 2014

Spring 2014 April 25 Friday

63 degrees this morning, raining out.
Great swim this morning.  Last session this morning.  Always feel a little regret at the end of a conference, tempered with the good feeling of getting back to your routine.  
A conference is like you have a little community meet, and it is temporary and only lasts a few days.  I always say a conference is like life, or perhaps stages of life,  by the time you learn your way around, it is over.
Met a person who was truly "burned out" on his profession.  Won't say anything that may identify him, but it was really sad.  I really wonder what you do to get out of that frame of mind.  I have probably been close to it in the past, but not recently.  It kind of reminds me of some poems I wrote years ago (warning, I am not a poet):
THE FIZZ IS GONE
Failure is as soiled and
Yellowed as an old sheet
 Sounds like an old car
As it spins without starting
 Failure tastes like
Soda gone flat 
Failure feels like the rasp of sandpaper
Taking away the good and the bad
Grinding all into dust
 Failure smells like the standing water
left in the dishpan of life
MY DAY OF GRAY
Blue Buffalo scatter in the green grass
Outside my window
Brightening an otherwise cloudy gray day
While I,
Hearing the sound of duty
Eventually
Return to
Reading the dry reports
Yellowing on my desk
Not great poetry, but it expressed my ideas on the subject.  
The times I have seen someone who is "burned out", it is almost always a great waste, because usually it happens to some of the best, more productive people.   I don't recall reading a lot on how you get out of the "burned out" state, but I have seen people recover and be all the better for the experience.
Good to be back home, back to the routine. 
That's it for today.

No comments: