Monday, June 01, 2015

Spring 2015 June 1 Monday (June 1, Instant Slums, Baseball Food, Exercise)


59  Degrees this morning 45:25 minutes walk.

June 1, 2015!!  It is hard to believe the year is almost 50% over already (well, 5/12’s or 41.66% over now!).  

The time is simply speeding by, it seems every week and month goes faster.

Of course, I am enjoying every minute, but sometimes I want to say “time, slow down, you’re going too fast!”

(I think the song goes, “Slow down, you're going to fast, you have to make the moment last”, but I may be wrong.)

(I checked and it actually is “Slow Down, You’re going too fast, You’ve got to make the morning last”)

The term “Instant Slums” went through my mind during my walk this morning about this City allowing thousands of apartments to be built in this area without any provision for the increased traffic, park space or other needs of the thousands of additional residents.

I think the City was in such a rush to kow tow to the developer/builder/commercial/residential complex who are eager to make their millions or billions and get out of town (or worse yet, stay in town and continue the process.)  

Actually, the area is probably fine for additional apartments, but to allow the large number of apartments without any provision for the increased traffic, park and other needs of the residents is, in my opinion,  gross negligence.

Ballgame yesterday.  I have to be careful, the “all the baseball food you can eat”  is an easy way to gain weight, although it is the only other meal, besides breakfast,  we eat that day.  Of course the food itself isn’t the most healthy (but it is good) and it is only when we go to ball game.  (Tickets include all the food and drinks you want.  Aliene can drink Pepsi’s and I can drink my coffee and water!)  It also includes the buffet and even service to the seats for traditional baseball food (hot dogs, chicken breast sandwiches, hamburgers, peanuts, giant pretzels, M & M’s, nachos and cheese,  crackerjacks, chicken fingers, cheese etc. along with a special “home” food, which has included BBQ, corn dogs and chicken fried steak. (I passed on the chicken fried steak, but the  corn dogs and BBQ were certainly good!) 

We have learned to restrain ourselves.

The games have been very good and we are enjoying them.  

I think it is funny when I hear that “everyone watches sports live”.  Actually we don’t watch anything live (well, I do watch CNBC live).  While we don’t watch a lot of sports, we like baseball (St. Louis Cardinals, Chicago Cubs), and college basketball and some college football.  

However, we tape it and simply don’t watch (or watch knowing the results) the very few times we have learned a score before we watch the games.  

Speaking of weight, as soon as e move, I am going to find a gym.  There are two possibilities , the YMCA (we will live about 2 1/2 miles from the best one in this area).  I like the Y, but it is open very restricted hours, at least for my preference.

There is a 24 hour gym within about a mile of our house, but it doesn’t have a swimming pool.  

I expect I’ll take my normal walk and bike ride and then see which one fits my schedule best.  I really like the idea of being able to swim on a regular basis. 

I was thinking this morning, my morning routine is bound to change, just as it did from Lakeland to here.  The early morning from 3:00 a.m. to 7:30 a.m. is an important part of my day.  A lot will depend on what time the daily newspapers are delivered (and if they are delivered!),  traffic to the nearby gyms, and how comfortable I feel walking/riding in the neighborhood in the early morning.  

We shall see.

That’s it for now, Monday, June 1, 2015.


No comments: