Sunday, June 14, 2015

Spring 2015 June 14 Sunday (Nashville CMA Fest)


70 Degrees this morning.  

The posting of this journal may be delayed the next two days (Monday and Tuesday) due to travel plans etc.

Last day of CMA Fest.  Always a little sad how fast it goes.  Something we have looked forward to for literally a year, suddenly it is here and then gone.   We have enjoyed it, somehow the positive experiences always far outweigh the negative.

Over the years we have attended this (we think it is eleven), we have learned not to do too much, not to have extremely high expectations, but just to enjoy it for what it is and enjoy what we do each day and don’t worry about what we missed or the negative experiences, but to value the positive and unexpected experiences.  I have learned the first day is a good day to complain and after that to just deal with it and enjoy.  If you try to do too much you end up enjoying nothing.  

Same attitude we try to have about life!  

As with life, over 11 years we have seen many performers come and many go.  We have watched new performers become literally legends in music (Miranda Lambert, Carrie Underwood, Taylor Swift Dirks Bentley, among many), many flame out, popular one or two years never to be seen again (I don’t think it is necessary to name names) and many who have been popular gradually fade from the scene and others who maintain popularity and high performance to the end.

The saddest is the ones who should have stopped but don’t.  Again, no names, but we saw one yesterday, and it is really sad.   And it’s not a matter of age even.  All performers age, and adjust to the changes of age, and maintain high standards, in this case, I am sure it is a medical condition that someone should point out, but like the emperor who has no clothes no one wants to point it out, including me.  

I am looking forward to today, I get to see two of my favorite performers, (Wade Hayes and John Berry)  in a setting where I can be close and get to talk with them (if I want).  They are both performing in a smaller venue and have a “meet and greet’ afterwards (or before) where you have a good chance of meeting them. 

We don’t collect autographs, but sometimes we do like to personally tell someone we really enjoy their music and getting an autograph is kind of expected. One I have never seen personally perform before (John Berry), but I really enjoy his performances.  

I actually saw John Berry on a video performing “O Holy Night’ and I listened to some of his other music and really enjoyed it.  It will be a treat to see him and meet him.  Wade Hayes had a song I really enjoyed years ago,and he became a favorite. We actually saw him perform and talked with him last year. 

I am playing a game of “chicken” with the hotel.  We really like the hotel we are staying at, but they aren’t taking reservations yet (for next year’s CMA Fest).  There is one room available in a downtown hotel (for points) about a block further, but I am waiting for reservations for this to open up.  There is always a chance we won’t be able to get a room but I really think we will be able to get one here.  

We have tried the “stay far away and drive” concept, and it doesn’t work for us.  We need to be close, where we can get away for short periods.  

I have taken a bunch of photos, but haven’t posted anything yet, since I used (mostly) my camera and I didn’t bring my photo  hard drive.  I have a one terabyte hard drive I use for my photos and I just attach it go the computer I am on (my desktop or my laptop) and it automatically saves to that. I may not need to do that, now with Flickr and Google having such good photo storage.

Our (possibly) first Uber car ride this morning.  We are renting a “one way” car (again on points) to drive to Memphis and see some friends before we return home.  I plan on taking an “Uber car” to the airport to pick up the car.

Last day of CMA Fest 15.  We are planning to enjoy it. 


That’s it for now, Sunday, June 14, 2015.

No comments: