Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Spring 2015 June 16 Tuesday (Happy Birthday Vincent, Memphis Nights)



78 Degrees this morning

Happy birthday to my oldest brother, Vincent, who also was the first born in our family!

A super day in Memphis, had a chance to visit with friends and touch base.  We decided we need to just come out occasionally and visit, some things are just too important to not do.  We enjoyed our time here and especially our friends here.

There is something about Memphis nights, especially in the Summer that I have always found somewhat haunting as well as mystifying and yet very enjoyable.  Something you have to experience.  No other place is like it at night in the Summer, something I noticed my first night in Memphis years ago.

Return this morning.  After  six days of wearing shorts, tee shirts and sandals, it may be hard to go back to regular work clothes.  However, wait a second, that is what I wear at my home office!  Since Tuesday will be an “office day”, it will be Wednesday or maybe Thursday before I have to put on regular shoes, shirt etc., although I will have a lot of paperwork to catch up on. 

Summer starts in less than a week!  For all intents and purposes, summer is here.  Of course, as I have bemoaned before,  when Summer arrives, it is also the start of the end of Summer.  

I got to thinking what “for all intents and purposes” meant, and looked it up. It basically comes form English law, meaning all options are close and the decision is final.  Essentially etc. are probably more effective and shorter.

Visited my favorite Memphis Starbucks yesterday.  I am always amazed at the speed of the internet there, even with my VPN, which I use on public networks.  

It seems at Starbucks (at least this one) there is always a sales person trying to bedazzle someone out of their money.  I have to restrain myself (well, not really, but I really do want to) from yelling “hey, what about this!” to the poor prospective buyer who is getting the royal shaft if he or she takes the bait and ends up dismayed at the high fees and poor performance and how the salesperson will suddenly forget whom you are after the payment is made.  

Probably not always the case, but I hear some real con games that even I can recognize a mile away.  Most involved “investments”, some insurance,  and “no loss” investment schemes, some even work schemes.  I want to yell “HEY, THINK ABOUT THIS!”. Yesterday, the salesperson was promising the prospect “you can make $1500 per month, or $150,000 per year at this, it’s your choice.  Sure.  

I have to admit though, form the perspective of my current age, I could see the value of “whole life insurance”  (maybe, if you start it really young)) and definitely the value of ignoring a regular IRA (that is tax deducible when you make the contributionI) and a Roth IRA (not deductible, but not taxable when you withdraw it.) 

Also, I see the value of s starting any kind of retirement savings and the earlier the better. 

Of course “Roth IRA’s” were not started when I started my IRA, but as soon as they were available, I wish I had maxed it out before I contributed ot my 457 (similar to a 401K).  On the other hand, I am very reluctant to spend it now, since I don’t want to play the taxes on it! 

I can even remember when regular IRA’s and 401 k’s started, which may have doomed the “guaranteed” retirement plan for most people.  

I am going to make a note of all the performers I saw at the CMA Fest so in future years I can look it up, probably Wednesday or Thursday, but maybe this weekend (or maybe on the plane going home.

Driving from Nashville to Memphis (about 3 hours), I realized I hadn’t driven that long since we moved, which was almost a year ago.  

Following up on the “physical news” etc., I am surprised at how much I get from my Twitter feeds.  They are quick, timely, headlines that I can follow up if I wish.  

Back to somewhat of a routine as we head home this morning


That’s it for now, Tuesday, June 16, 2015

No comments: