Sunday, September 07, 2014

Summer 2014 September 7 (Technology Reality)



61  degrees this morning  55:03 minute walk.  Good to walk and exercise again after "rain out" yesterday.

I had forgotten how to dress for 61 degree weather.  It wasn't really that cool, but I dressed a little warmer just in case.

Rained most of the day Saturday.  Not necessarily bad, occasional hard rain.  Overall nice day other than the rain.

First truly 'weekend" day I have had for 9 months.  It was great!  While I enjoy the job a break is good also.  I do wish I could have walked etc., Saturday., but a break is probably good there also.

Cooler weather reminds me that  September and 2014 is going fast.  Maybe 2014 wasn't all I had hoped it  would be, but that is life. I still remember the early days December 2013 and the winter of 2014, how cold it was.  I hope  this is a warmer winter.

In addition to finding out that Facebook can create privacy problems, I now am finding that it has "automatic start" videos.  I am considering going "off the grid" when I see this.  I don't have time to watch videos and don't watch videos (maybe from fiends or family, but never commercial ones or even news videos) and resent the force feeding of them.  I understand Twitter might be doing the same thing.

As I mentioned yesterday (about NFC not being quite up to the claims made for it), I have found that much of the time on advanced technology, the hype isn't up to the reality and hyped technology frequently is still buggy and doesn't work well.

I mention this now because the cable tv system, in spite of big promises, froze up again.  It is a continual problem, with huge promises and then the reality of the poor and buggy delivery with some of the promises never delivered on.

On the other hand, I can remember when technology which is now rock solid had the same problems.  Apparently that is part of the process of the development of modern technology!

Of course, somehow it all ends up with just what I was advised by the cable company.  It they decide it isn't the fault of their equipment or wires or anything that is theres, they will charge a $70 fee, UNLESS you buy their program of $6.99 per month.

To me this is nothing more than a "protection racket" or extortion.

It reminds me of the time we bought a tv from BestBuy AND purchased a maintenance agreement.  In spite of the maintenance agreement, the maintenance technician tried to charge us for a service call, which set up a 2 year battle with BestBuy with them finally deciding we didn't need to pay it.

I think both the tv's and the maintenance agreement were hyped way above the reality.

We are still a "one car" family.  (I had a city car.) I am waiting to see exactly what the travel requirements are before we purchase a car.  Reliability of course is one of the major requirements, as will gas mileage.  I always thought that Maintenance Agreements were somehow not worth it and my experience (with cars) has never been positive, so we quit buying them.  The one time I did have one and made a claim, they made the repair shop use used parts (which were probably ok), but it hardly lived up to the hype.

That's it for now, Sunday, September 7, 2014.

I

No comments: