Sunday, September 28, 2014

Fall 2014 September 28 Sunday (Spam)


68  degrees this morning. 55:04 minute walk. Two earthquakes (3.2 and 3.6)

in my Outlook e-mail account, I was surprised to find that e-mail I wanted was being sent to my “spam folder”.   It appeared to be legitimate e-mail from a co-worker.  when I didn’t get it, I mentioned it to her, she suggested I check my “spam folder” of my Outlook e-mail account.

I was shocked to find all the e-mail I was supposed to get, PLUS two e-mails advising me of a job interview (that I knew nothing about) and some other e-mails that are hardly spam.

While I’m not interested in another job, (I am really looking forward to the one I have!), it was a shock to realize that valid e-mails were going to my spam folder, which is ‘DELETED AFTER TEN DAYS”!!!!! 
I almost deleted my Outlook e-mail account, when of course I realized that I should have known to check my spam folder etc. on a regular basis, although I never imagined some of the e-mail in there would ever be considered “spam”.

Now I wonder what e-mails I haven’t received that were incorrectly designated as “spam” and “deleted after ten days”.  Nothing I can do about it now, apparently, except apologize to the senders of spam that I am aware of!.

Add “always check your spam folder” to “always backup your hard drive”. 

The name of the book I am reading is by Adam Goodheart, “1861, The Civil War Awakening”.  It is more of a social commentary then it is about the Civil War, which makes it so interesting.  I am going to get a copy of it, at least borrow it form the library.

The Library system I have here is much more advanced than the Memphis system, about four generations ahead in the matter of technology.  I can “hold” books by the web site, “borrow” audio books and e-books if I want to.  It is so much more professional and customer friendly.  

Not that Memphis didn’t have some wonderful librarians (they had some very professional and helpful librarians), it was just the structure which was so backward.  That was something I always missed in Memphis although the personnel made up for the lack of professional leadership.  One the the things I really disagreed with (then County) Mayor Wharton was when he dismantled the County Library System.   But, I don’t need to worry about that anymore.

One thing I really miss about Memphis drivers is they are normally courteous and basically friendly  drivers.  They may run red lights, make a left turn in front of you etc, but they almost never cut you off, talk gate you or don’t let you in a lane.

Went to hear Peter (Aliene’g grandson) perform in his band at the “Plaza District” Festival.  It is an area that I remember as a  bunch of bars and disreputable convenience stores etc.  Now it is a true “arts district” with a personality of it’s own.  HIs band is actually very good and we enjoyed hearing them.

There was a good crowd there and it was a perfect night for the Festival.  I don’t know how many people were there, but there was a lot of cars!     

I can remember seeing this area years ago, when it was nothing but seedy bars and convenient stores selling who knows what.  It was not a  place you went in the day, much less the night, not it is several blocks of nice restaurants and stores, art studios etc.  Restoration of an area can happen.  There are actually many areas like that here, which makes it interesting as to what makes such projects so successful.

It not only takes money, it also takes commitment from a lot of people plus support after it is built.


That’s it for now, Sunday, September 28, 2014.       

No comments: