Saturday, September 20, 2014

Summer 2014 September 20 Saturday (It's all Chinese to Apple)



72 degrees this morning.   53.33  minutes walking. (no Earthquakes!)

Update my iPhone to IOS 8 (the new operating system for Apple).  It came up in CHINESE and I couldn’t change it, since I don’t read Chinese.  

Most of the evening was spent with Apple support (since my iPhone was basically out of service) until finally I got with a person who knew how to correct it without the dreaded “restore” option.  

Again, sometimes I think there is way too much hype in technology that is in advance of reality frequently.  Not that technology isn’t wonderful, it just isn’t all it is hyped to be.  

Of course, when you upgrade, it messes up all your settings, wifi etc.  It seems they could take the time to make upgrading much easier.

I have Aliene’s iPhone and two iPads to upgrade so this could get interesting!  At least i know it can be reversed if possible.  (I also am going to back up all my devices.  While they are connected to the iCloud, a lot of information would be lost if I had to restore the phone.) 

Interesting day “in the field” today.  T:he very first visit involved a very friendly dog with very muddy feet and he jumped up on me.  I ended up with a very muddy shirt and I had to stop and buy another shirt!  

I held my hand out to the dog and realized later it was good he didn’t bite!

Otherwise, the training day involved a number of new twists that indicate it will be a very interesting job with a lot of variety!  Plus the bonus of a “home office” and work involving days out of the office and travel.  Anyway, something different!  

After a disruption of five days, my newspapers appear to have resumed delivery again (hopefully).  I know the option of reading them on the internet is there, but for some reason I just don’t do it, except I usually do get a chance to review the paper I can’t get out here.  I really miss the New York Times, which I feel deserves the reputation of the best newspaper printed and I do try to read it on the internet.  

I still enjoy the on-line USA Today more than I like the regular newspaper and I read it during breakfast.  I only read the “news”, “money” and “tech” parts and I skip all the videos, all the stories about “stars” and tv and movies and sports, so it doesn’t take me all that time to read it. 

My change in schedule to taking a shower right after I walk has made a world of difference for the better.  For some reason, it just makes me feel better.  I know my nap is much better if I take a shower after I walk.  Now, if I can just stop ”piddling” and save about enough time for a 12 minute nap right before I leave!  

I actually enjoy my drive in the morning.  I may have mentioned, I swing by McDonalds (no Starbucks on the way!) and get a coffee and parfait, and head down the interstate to work.  It is an easy drive, and I won’t even have to worry about that after I start working at my “home office”.

Started reading Loren Easley, “The Night Country”, a book on my “round tuit” list for at least 30 years and possibly more.  It was copyrighted in 1947 and my book is copyright 1971. I probably got it in about 1989 (at the library book sale), but I had planned on reading it before that, so I have had it in my possession for at least 25 years.  I will read it and send it on for someone else to read.  So far, I am glad I am reading it and it is making carting it around for 25 years well worth while.

I have a library card, but, oddly enough, we haven’t checked out any books.  I tried to check out some audio books but haven’t had the patience to figure out how to download the books on my iPod.  I am sure when I want to, I will figure it out.  For years, we always had 5 or 6 library books checked out.  Of course, I am behind 7 or 8 books without adding any library books and I am behind even more audio books. 

Listening to a book about the Civil War during my walk.  Thus far, it has been interesting and actually have provided some information about the period prior to the Civil War that I wasn’t aware of.  (At this point in the book, Lincoln still hasn’t been elected.)

Enjoy your weekend!

That’s it for today, Saturday, September 20, 2014.






No comments: