Monday, September 15, 2014

Summer 2014 September 15 Monday (Mums)


70 degrees this morning. Walk 54:39 Minutes.  One earthquake (3.3)

The air now has the “coolness” to it regardless of the temperature during the night. 

Thinking of what I would be doing if I had attended the conference.  Of course, on the other hand, when I  am not at home, sometimes I think about what I would be doing if I was home, so now I know!  

I always say a conference is about like life, by the time you learn your way around, it’s over!  

The weather here (Sunday) was beautiful with a slight wind.  I still am getting over my head cold, so we decided not to go the fair with Angela and the girls.  Maybe tomorrow night or within the next couple of weeks.  

Aliene has purchase her annual mums and pumpkins to set outside.  I’m glad we are continuing this tradition. The color and life amid the dying grass and falling leaves is nice to see.  Hopefully the tradition of the mums dying too fast or just never really blooming  will stop!

Speaking of age, I mentioned yesterday about my granddaughters asking about my age.  They didn’t make any comment.  I think I had steeled myself for “wow that’s old”, “you’re ancient”, but they didn’t comment further.  I figure “it is what it is”, and as they say, it is much better than the alternative!  What actually is always a shock to me is realizing how old my brothers and sisters are!

I have an “in the field office” day today.  I am going to spend the day with a person who has established a home office and has it set up with how to research tasks, file etc.  It will be interesting.  

I am rapidly learning the basic mechanics of the position, although it is one of those jobs you never stop learning.  Even persons who have been doling it for years say they will run into something they don’t know.  Most say it really takes two years to get a good basic grasp.  I am hoping (and so far I have found it to be true), that my past experience in state laws etc., will help me learn it faster, but some of it I will only learn by doing it.

I am still adjusting to weekends and evenings without worrying about doing work for my job.  I don’t really “miss” it, I just have this feeling I should be doing something for work.  I have more than enough to keep me busy doing other things anyway, but there is always that nagging feeling that I need to do something for work.  

The saga of the MacBook Air continues.  I took it into the “genius bar” at the Apple Store to find out how long I had to let go of my ocmputer, when the “genius” noted that the screen “cutting out” happened when it passed over my cast, which as a magnetic latch on it.  I happened to have the compeer on top of the case and it cut out.

Lo and behold, everytime he passed it over the magnetic field the screen would cut out.  Of course, I’m thinking of the times it cut out when it wasn’t around a magnet, but I couldn't swear I didn’t have something in my pocket that is magnetic.  Anyhow, I agreed to observe and got to keep my computer for awhile while I watch and observe how and when it cuts out.  (It happens on an intermittent, frequently as little as once every three weeks, but it is just annoying.

Watching Fall coming up means the end of baseball. While we have probably seen our last game at our favorite baseball stadium, Memphis AutoZone Park and our favorite team, the Memphis Redbirds (AAA), we are glad we can watch many of the players we saw develop with the St. Louis Cardinals.  Almost every Cardinals game is televised  in our area, and over half the team is players we actually saw play, and in many cases, we actually watched them develop from just good players to great ones. 

That’s it for now, Monday, September 15, 2014.


No comments: