Thursday, September 11, 2014

Summer 2014 September 14 Thursday (My Walk)



67 Degrees this morning. 53:45 minute walk. 2.7 earthquake this morning.  (about 60 miles away as a crow flies)

This was a “cool” 67 degrees.  It is always interesting to see how even 73 can be “colder” than a 62, and this was a “cool” 67 degrees.  

“Day in the field” yesterday with another experienced person.  It was interesting to watch the different techniques used.  Another “field training” day today.  The more I learn, the more I like it and the more interesting tt is.

My walk always starts my day, except when it rains etc.  It is valuable in a lot of ways besides the simple exercise.  It gives me a change to meditate, think about a wide variety of things, listen to a book I may not otherwise read as well as exercise my imagination!  

I was thinking while walking how the route I take (due to the “maze like” nature of the neighborhood I walk in) is like a Formula One race course.  If fact, I have to admit, sometimes, I imagine I am shifting gears and racing a car along the course, including shifting gears etc.  It brightens up the occasional boring part of a walk or book!  Of course usually it gives me the time to think about things and think of approaches to problems etc., as well as just makes me feel better from the exercise.   (I really don’t imagine I’m driving a race car very often, but it does brighten up the walk)

Time has been compressed lately. Since I have the commute I won’t have when I am trained enough to get my “home office”, I have tried to maintain the schedule I will have after I start my home office.   

On the other hand, I feel like I am almost in partial retirement, since for the time in my almost 40 years (as of October 21, 2014!) of “working full time” for cities, I have never had a job where I didn’t work evenings and weekends.  Sometimes I catch myself thinking I should be doing more work!  

Anyway, it is another phase of our life that we will adapt to.  

Got my MacBook Air back.  I was dismayed to find it had the same problem, even tho they advised they are almost replaced everything in the MacBook.  I called Apple and they advised they will replace it (or fix it).  I’m really not asking for a new one, I just want one that works.  It it takes a new one, that is obviously fine with me.  

I have an opportunity to do some consulting work (make that “may”), which would give me a chance to gradually develop a side consulting business.  As usual, opportunity frequently comes at a at time when it is difficult to take advantage of the opportunity.  While later on, I can easily take a day of vacation or arrange my schedule so I can work on consulting work, right now it is difficult. 

However, if I don’t take advantage of this opportunity, I may never get another opportunity!  The dilemmas of life.  

I watch the new Apple products with interest.  I am going to start saving my pennies (maybe literally) for an “Apple Watch” next Spring.  I probably will upgrade my iPhone, especially since I need to have a dedicated phone for work and my old “iPhone 5” can be used for work.  (I currently use Aliene’s old iPhone 3GS for my work phone.)

I don’t see any reason to sell any of my old iPhones, they are good for iPods (they are the same as an iPod Touch without the phone line) and the battery, at least so far, are long lasting.  

Today, of course, I remember where I was on September 11, 2001 and on April 19, 1995.  May it never happen again.  


Thats it for now, Thursday, September 11, 2014

No comments: