Saturday, September 27, 2014

Fall 2014 September 27 Saturday



64  degrees this morning. 54:32 minute walk. One earthquake.

I will always remember September 27 as the day my mother passed away.  It will be 17 years this year.  It is hard to believe it has been 17 years.  I remember thinking my mother would have enjoyed (as much as you can) the funeral services.  It was a beautiful day and the preacher took the time to visit with us and mentioned some of the unique qualities of my Mother.

On the way back, I remember seeing the leaves turning and thinking it was too bad that old age and death was not as beautiful in people as in the trees.

I am glad that she had the chance to get to know Aliene (and Aliene her) and attend our wedding.

The weather is cooler each morning as the fall starts to set in;  The past week has generally been 62-67 degrees each morning, about 10 degrees cooler.  So far I have not had to dress any warmer.  One of the reasons I don’t like winter is it takes so much longer to dress before I walk and ride my bike.

Another day “in the field” training Friday.  I learned a lot and I am beginning to feel I am ready to move to the next stage where I do the actual work and am observed/helped by the trainer rather than the other way around.  

I feel I am ready to start doing it and of course am anxious to start.

Saturday night, Aliene and I plan on going to see Peter’s band “Bored Wax”, at a local event.  It will be fun, whether we like the type of music or not!

The book about the Civil War I have been listening to during my walk has really been interesting.  It goes into more detail and includes more information than I have heard before.  

For example, there was a group of soldiers, led by a person called Ellsworth, who were compared to a rock group today.  They toured the country to the adulation of the public.  They were basically a choreographed drill team.  Again, you have to wonder “why”?   By chance, Ellsworth was a good friend of the future President Lincoln. 

Another mention was of the high impact of “modern technology” such as national newspapers and the telegraph and the tumult this caused in society at that time as “mass communication” affected the culture.

Another was the (in 1860) “rejection of the younger people of their parents values” and the adulation of the young.

Some things never change!

I am going to try to find the book so I can read it and I may listen to it again, although I really have some other books I need to start on.   

I also learned a lot more about Fort Sumner than I know before that the impact of Fort Sumner 
on the civil war and our country overall.  

In the present time, I am amazed by the amount of media time spend on the Yankees and the person who is retiring.  Maybe on the sports pages, but on national news, including even CNBC.  Who really cares, other than New Yorkers?  

This reminds me the book on the Civil War I am listening to indicates the first record of the game of baseball as we know it today was in 1856.  


That’s it for now, Saturday, September 27, 2014.

No comments: