Monday, September 29, 2014

Summer 2014 September 29 Monday (DuckDuckGo and Celebration and Renewal)



69 degrees this morning. 53:52 minute walk.

“Duckduckgo” is an option on my MacBook Air now (and I assume my Mac).  It is a search engine which doesn’t track me and where I search, which is nice.  I am going to try to use it and see how good it is.

As part of my research on “data exhaust”, I have become much more sensitive to the creepy ads I receive from various “Social Media” etc., as well as the even more creepy (and normally wrong) e-mails from Amazon etc. that they “know what I want”.  Surprise, they don’t.

Actually, since I moved, I have become almost obsessed with not buying more “stuff” that will sit around, take up space and be stored, unless I am absolutely sure I will use it for some purpose.  (With the exception of Hot Wheels cars etc., although you could say I use them when I display them.)

At the very least, I try to make sure I will use it and I try to dispose of whatever it replaces, rather than assuming I will “use it sometime”.  An example is t-shirts, shoes and hats that won’t see the light of day but I keep around in case I need shoes, t-shirt or hat that I can use if I will get it dirty etc.  

Anyway, I will give “duckduckgo” a try.  Unless I hear it is some kind of evil spam or something.  I will search it first.  (Somehow saying “I’ll duckduckgo” that, doesn’t quite have the pizzaz of “I’ll google it”. 

Another week of work ahead.  Actually I have a lot of anticipation about work now, since I hope I soon will “go on my on” and start my home office etc.  It will be several weeks yet, since I still have some computer training, and I need to have my trainer go with me for several weeks as I start working independently.  

I do realize I still have a lot to learn, but I think I have reached (or are about to reach) the point where I will learn primarily by doing and learning from my mistakes and ignorance, so to speak.

Anyway, it was a good weekend.  

I finished “The Night Country” and found a copy of the “1861 Civil War Awakening” at the library (so I don't’ have to worry about what to do with the book after I finish reading it!)  I also found a book on “coffee”.  Since I really enjoy coffee, I thought I would find that interesting.

I am wearing a tee shirt I got at the 75th International City Manager’s Association (they just had their 100th, so the tee shirt is 25 years old. 

It has the words “Celebration and Renewal” on it.  I found that slogan interesting considering my experiences over the past year.  

I think I have a lot of things I can “celebrate” regardless of the fact things didn’t go exactly how I wanted and certainly an opportunity for “renewal.

I admit, I”m not sure how I should “celebrate”  other than perhaps continue to look forward to new experiences and look froward to living life to the fullest by experiencing life.  I will certainly also “celebrate” other aspects of my life, including the fact I had the opportunity for the experiences and friends.

“Renewal” is a little more difficult.  I think “renewal” is perhaps the ability to not letting bad or difficult experiences stop you from containing to experience and enjoy life. 

Renewal is also like the section of town I visited Saturday night.  They grabbed opportunity in disaster and made a success of it.  

The lessons of a 25 year old shirt.


That’s it for now, Monday, September 29, 2014

No comments: