Thursday, September 25, 2014

Fall 2014 September 25 Thursday (Dreaming)

)

64 degrees this morning. 54:22  minute walk.

An intensive day of “learning by doing” as I spent the day basically doing the duties I will be performing when I am out of training.  

It is difficult to train for all possibilities, since the duties involve a wide variety of possible alternatives, which is one reason I like it so much.  There isn’t a dull moment!

Thursday (today) will include more “field training” and probably will include a lot of me “learning by doing”.  I feel myself growing more confident as I actually “do it”.  

When I actually start in my own area, I will generally have two days “in the office” and three days “in the field”.  The office days are used to do research for the field days, as well as handle matters that can be handled without a personal visit.  The learning curve is actually fairly long on this, but I have a good background to learn it.  

Otherwise, life has developed a subtle routine of daily living that will change as time goes on.  To what degree, who knows.  

There will be a major change when I start doing my job “on my own” and have a home office and then work “in the field” by myself.  Several persons who are in the same job classification have advised me it takes at least two years to really feel confident about it and it is a matter of continuous learning.  

My type of job!  I really like the idea of a lot of variety and challenges, and especially the ability to work both in the office and in the field.  My short time of office training have convinced me I am not the 100% office type of person.  (My entire career has involved both “office” and “in the field” time, thank goodness.)

Looking for a car for use in work etc.  The actual decision will depend on what area I am assigned to.  I am hoping I get an area without a lot of travel, although if I do have a lot of travel that is fine also, but our decision on a car may be a lot different. 

I just had an advertisement e-mail by Trek bicycles pop up and remind me of a Wall Street Journal article I read about a Trek bicycle that has “electric assist”  (a lot different than an “electric bicycle”).  My current bicycle is over 8 years old and has a lot of miles on it, but it still has a lot of hours and hours left on it.  I doubt that it will every actually “wear out” as such.   I am keeping my eyes open for the future.  

As soon as things settle down to a routine here (as I said previously, the “routine” we are in now is a temporary one) and I really want to start riding my bicycle more.  We hope to move to an area with more opportunities for bicycling and walking.  I love to ride in my neighborhood (which with the other neighborhoods provides plenty of daily exercise riding ability), but I can’t really go anyplace due to the lack of adequate bicycle trails.  

In my spare time, I have started to analyze the best route of my “ride with the summer” which I hope to do in the future.  Maybe next year I can do one of the multi-day rides (such as the Oklahoma Free Wheel, Ride Across Tennessee or Ride Across Kansas) and start to develop some multi-day bicycling skills.  

I hope eventually to find a bicycle club here that I can start to develop comfort in riding with other bicycles.  

What the heck, I can dream!  If I don’t dream, I’ll never accomplish anything!


That’s it for now, Thursday, September 25, 2014. 

No comments: