Saturday, September 13, 2014

Summer 2014 September 13 Saturday (Chilly!(

Summer 2014 September 13 Saturday (Chilly!)

53 degrees (!) this morning.  Walk 54:42 minutes.  

Main problem this morning was remembering how to dress for cold (well chilly) weather.  Decided on light “layers” which worked well.  Concerned about the effect of the walk on my head cold, but it didn’t seem to have an effect.   I will be very glad when this head cold is over.  

I remember how the wind increases the effect of the cold and fortunately there was very little wind this morning.  I forgot how cold weather increases the time involved in dressing for the colder weather.

There is now seven days left in the Summer of 2014.  I don’t think we will forget this summer!

Work is progressing.  Monday I have training at a “home office” where I will observe research and setting up and maintaining a home office, with some possible field training.  Tuesday may be field training again.  I hate having a head cold and cough and not feeling up to 100% while training.  I don’t think it has really created any problems, but I will feel a lot better about it.  

Currently debating the decision of buying another car or just renting one when we need it.  Right now, we can get by with one car and renting one occasionally, but I don’t know if that is something that will last.  I will use a car a lot in my job (I am reimbursed for it), but also due to some rules regarding travel, I will either need to rent a car for long trips or my reimbursement will be less then what it normally would be (ie., I would get what it cost for a rental car rather than mileage).  Right now, the decision is probably leaning towards just renting a car as much more justified.  

At least we can always buy a car, but it is hard to go the other way, and we will know more when my training period is over and I know what my routine will be like.  The major problem with renting is you lose some of the items you are used to (primarily a backup camera). 

I really think a backup camera should be required on all cars. It is simply a safety matter, at least the “beeping” device should be required (where the driver hears a “beep” if the car is close to an object or person.

Reading recently about how “Private Equity” firms now think they can run countries.  Talk about a bunch of fatheads with too much money (for favorable tax treatment regulations).  These are the same people who have bankrupted numerous companies after ripping them off with big loans for “special dividends”.  I don’t know what should be done, but it’s just not right. 

State Fair is going on now.  I haven’t been to one for years, probably will see if Kala and Katherine want to go.  I always enjoyed them when I was younger, but don’t want to go in the weather like it is now.  

Since I will be working outside quite a bit, I have to start wearing a hat.  Since I doubt that a baseball had will look appropriate (or some of my cheaper straw hats), I am looking at dusting off by western hat and possibly buying another one of two.  (I have a problem with my head sunburning with the resulting problems.)

My major problem is I wear a large size hat (about 8 1/2), so it is hard to find a decent selection of hats.  (Many “one size fits all” do not fit, although a surprising number do fit.

I remember when I was probably about in the 4th or 5th grade, I convinced my dad to buy me a western hat (no small feat!).  One my biggest disappointments was to find we couldn’t find a hat that fit me.  

Later, I needed a special order helmet for football, and even in the Air Force they had to scramble to find my hat size.

That’s it for now, Saturday, September 13, 2014.





No comments: