Saturday, September 06, 2014

Summer 2014 September 6 Saturday (Weekend Expectations)



63 degrees this morning.  Walk was rained out this morning, the first time since we moved here.  It was a relative light rain, but I decided not to try it.

The weekend is here.  I have to be careful and not "overplan" the weekend or think I have to make such good use of the time that I don't do anything, or have so much planned I get frustrated at how little I get done!

Shouldn't be a problem with this job.  It used to be a real problem on holidays where I simply over-planned.  Not a problem really after Aliene and I got married, at least not like before that .  It is really just my own personal agenda and schedule.

I think it goes back to expectations.  I may have had overestimated what I could get done on holidays.  Kind of reminds me once when a child I know (not Angela) was about 9 years old, she had such a problem making decisions she literally turned around in circles.  Sometimes I felt the impact "so many books, so little time"  (or "so many projects, so little time") I felt like I was spinning in place.

I don't really expect that to be a problem with this job.

I basically finished a week of computer training and will start doing field training next week.  I am looking forward to it.  So far I am really pleased at the job, especially the anticipation of being able to work independently, although working with others on some projects.

Although I am sure it is psychological, I feel a sense of having more time then I had before, when I  didn't have a job.  There is nothing like having a job you enjoy and one you feel will be both challenging and satisfying as well as productive.

The drive to work is starting to seem like a routine.  I do feel the "hyper-time" of the morning, but this week I have been able to meet the schedule.  I get to the workplace about 30 minutes early and just relax and contemplate my naval, so to speak.  (Obviously a figure of speech, I mean it is one of those free times during the day when my brain can think random thoughts.

I always wondered what I would listen to if I ever had a high speed commute (so to speak, it is almost all interstate).  I actually listen to classical music, it seems to set my mood better.  I really haven't even tried anything else.  It takes me about 15 minutes to get to work, maybe 18 with stopping at McDonalds for a cup of coffee.

Of course, after I am trained, I will work out of my house, which makes a really short commute!  (I will have a lot of road time, they say usually you spend a day in the office and then a day on the road.  In my case, I have some major travel involved in my territory, so I will probably spend more time on the road. )

I always thought it was so good to have my own private bathroom in Lakeland for the past couple of years.  Now I will have three!  So to speak anyway.  We are still debating which room is going to be my office.

Basically my hours are established by me, within the limits of the job requirements of course, since my duties will include a lot of field visits.  Anyway, it will be fun.

My supervisor advised me I would go out with a variety of personnel on field training, so I could observe a wide variety of how different personnel handle (or not) similar situations.  Smart move on the part of my supervisor.

I read about NFC on the new iPhone.  I have a credit card with NFC, and it is overhyped.  It takes much longer to use it, and it doesn't work about 25% of the time.  I don't see any advantage to it, but I expect it will improve.

That's it for now, Saturday, September 6, 2014.

 

No comments: