Monday, August 01, 2016

2016 Summer July 31 Sunday



81 degrees this morning, walk 36:10 minutes

Clear and the starts are out this morning.  However, after the last couple of days, I really don’t know what to expect!  

Actually, it is supposed to be clear and sunny all week.  

Wind  has been coming up the last couple of days, and I suddenly remember the effects of the wind on walking and, especially, bicycling.  For some reason the wind has been relatively subdued recently.  

The wind is hard to deal with, especially on bicycling.  Of course, I won’t be able to deal with the wind unless I bike in it!  Kind of like hills, unless I try it, I’ll never be able to bike up hills.  

I can understand why the continuous wind used to supposedly drive people insane, especially out in the western portions of the states where the wind is blowing all the time..  At least here t is occasionally quiet.

Makes me think of a “pedal assist” bike all the more, especially in dealing with the wind, but I think the more I bike, the more I will be able to deal with both the wind and the hills.  

Overall good weekend, it was a good break. 

I have been trying to decide where reading fiction fits into my schedule (or reading non-fiction for that matter).  I used to read a lot more and really enjoy it than I do now.   I still read some, but it just seems like I don’t enjoy it as much as I used to, although when I come upon a really good book, I really enjoy it.  

Part of it is I tend to get tired of writers who basically write the same book again and again, maybe changing  the characters.  While it can be enjoyable to read a book you somewhat know will happen, I just figure why waste the time on many of the books if it is just the same old, same old.  

On the other hand, I still enjoy  reading a good book.  Maybe I am just a lot more selective than I used to be  Of course, the numerous other demands on your time is also a factor.  

I can remember when I was a kid and reading was the only thing really to do.  I read and re-read many of my brothers and sisters high-school literature books, and I still remember many of the stories with fondness.  I actually purchased some of them I remembered reading at a used book sale.  

However, overall, I think it is just there are so many other demands on a persons free time.  Even exercise takes up a lot of time.  While I  feel it is necessary, walking, biking, swimming when I can etc. does take a lot of time of the day.

In a way, being able to copy tv shows is good, in a way the fact you can  “time shift” means I probably watch more tv shows  than I would otherwise, even if I do zip through the commercials and the meaningless talk!  (T:here is a lot of both.)

Fortunately, the local paper isn’t very good, so we can watch baseball etc. on a “tape delay” basis and not know the score until we actually watch the game.  We actually tape almost everything we  watch, including news etc.  

I always take a  nap after I finish this, taking a nap is an important pert of my day, even more so than exercise.  

For some reason, I haven’t been having any dreams (that I remember).  It seems to run in cycles, I wake up in the middle of an intense dream for several weeks in a row, than I don’t wake up remembering any dreams for several weeks.   


That’s it of now, Monday, August 1, 2016. 

No comments: