Wednesday, August 03, 2016

2016 Summer August 3 Wednesday



77 degrees this morning, Walk 35:41 minutes 

Another clear starry morning.  Actually rather hot in spite of the lower temperature, very little wind this morning.

Still trying to concentrate on breathing through my nose, controlled breathing etc.  My problem is my mind wonders and I tend to forget!

In spite of listening to books, music etc. while I walk, the primary purpose of my walk (beside exercise) is the opportunity to think (or talk if I am walking with someone) about things that I normally don’t have time time to think or talk about.  Also, listening to books gives the opportunity to get knowledge from books that I may not ordinarily read.  

Riding the bike is somewhat the same, except the more intense exercise and the continual monitoring for dangers (such as cars) tends to take up some of your attention.  

Motorists never cease to amaze me with their inattention, but also for their courtesy.  Probably 90% are over cautious, but I appreciate it.  I try to be the same and be aware of cars and aware that many people are not sure how to drive around a bicycle rider.  

I think this neighborhood is even better than most due to the large number of bicyclists and walkers.

Some years  ago, i listened to an attorney whose practice was representing bicyclists who had been injured by cars etc.  (He apparently made an adequate living at it!).

The attorney was actually speaking from the perspective of a City, not a bicycle rider. 

He mentioned that one “problem” with bike trails and sidewalks is that the availability of trails provided a defense to car drivers who postulated that the “bicycle rider should have been on the trail, not the road”.  

If things were perfect, and adequate trails were provided, that would be fine.  However, most “bicycle trails” are clearly inadequate.  A 3 foot sidewalk or a one foot “bicycle” lane is almost worse than nothing.  

In my (uneducated) opinion, the minimum should be simply a good six foot lane on the road, or,much better, a separated lane of at least six feet, or ten foot for traffic going both ways.  

I thought the lanes in China were great, which consisted of a separate bike/walking/scooter lane on each side of the road, separated by a barrier, in many cases, a bush etc.  It really provided maximum safety to the bicycle rider. 

The City we live in now is doing a relatively good job of building bike paths, although it is relatively slow and sometimes doesn’t make a lot of sense.  

As with fiber etc., sometimes the “last mile” is the problem, the fact that you can ride to within six blocks or a mile from your destination, but then there is no way to get to your destination by bicycle without a lot of traffic or having to carry it!  

Somehow, roads keep getting built without adequate bike and walking lanes in spite of the demand for them.  Considering what it costs to build a road, it is a relatively small amount to add a separated bike and walking lane.

Of course, before bike riding becomes more of a habit, someone will have to find the answer to the bane of bicycle riders, sweating from the  exercise!  I know there is no way I would be fit for an office after my bicycle ride without a shower!  

Enjoying out patio again this morning.  It is so nice out here!


That’s it for now, Wednesday, August 3, 2016.  

No comments: