Monday, August 08, 2016

2016 Summer August 8 Monday



77 degrees this morning, 35:17 minute walk

Lightning in the west this morning, didn’t really figure I”d get much of a walk in, but I was  able to get my full walk in.  

The “weather app” appeared to indicate the bad weather was coming right in, but apparently it is going to the north.  As noted by my time, I was stepping out trying to beat the weather!  

I just assumed I wasn’t going to get my bike ride in, but I may, depending on where the storm goes.

The storms do seem to go around our area, either to then south or north and miss us, that’s not all good or bad.  We get out share, but a lot of storms miss this area.

“I didn’t realize how much pain I was in until I didn’t have it”. is a quote by the Oklahoma University  Coach Bob Stoops which sticks in my mind.  

He had hip replacement, which surprised me at his age (55).  

Not knowing how much pain you are in until it is gone is rather scary.  It means pain was affecting you more than you realized. (All of my comments are general in nature, I only mention Bob Stoops because OU is one of my favorite sports teams. I know absolutely nothing about his personal situation).

I’ve always heard you don’t realize how much you miss something until you don’t have it about a lot of things, water being one of them, but it also applies to people, things, situations etc.   

Perhaps one of the things you don’t realize how much you miss until you don’t have it is the routine of daily life. While it is nice to get out of the routine, I think it also is always good to get back into the routine of life.  

Kind of like “it’s good to travel, but it’s good to get home”, something I hear a lot.

However pain is a little different, in that it is something that is definitely not wanted, is insidious and is sometimes scary in that the process of getting rid of the pain (such as a major operation etc.) is almost as bad as the pain.  

Or you really don’t know what is causing the pain and that can be a major negative factor in itself  

I guess it applies to both physical and emotional pain, and either can be a major problem in your daily life.  In a way, physical pain, if you know what is causing it, can at least normally be solved.

We are actually very lucky we live in an era when we an have hip and knew replacement etc. and other ways to resolve pain.  I assume past generations just had to learn to live with it, although probably the longer life spans mean we have a lot more problems than we used to have!

I am still surprised when I hear of such a young person have knee or hip replacement etc.  Thank goodness we have such procedures.

I remember when I was in high school (and probably college) saying there were no “miracles” and I doubted if there actually ever were.

My Dad pointed out that many of modern medicine’s solutions (and this was obviously years ago) were really “miracles”, and meaning of the modern conveniences and inventions and progress are also miracles.

Even then I realized he was right, and as my life unfolds, I see every day how right he was.  


That’s it for now, Monday, August 8, 2016.

No comments: