Wednesday, August 17, 2016

2016 Summer August 17 Wednesday



71 degrees this morning, walk 36:15 minutes

Thinking this morning about aging.  It is something I don’t think of a lot, since it is going to happen no matter what I do, but I do try to think about realizing the effects, both good and bad, of growing older.  

There are a multitude of considerations.  

I think some of the effects are the cultural felting that 50 is somehow the start of “old age”, which of course it isn’t any more.  I don’t think there is any specific  age, it depends on the individual, but age 50 is a lot different than 75. 

I remember when I was a teenager, I’d read about how I “should” feel certain ways and I didn’t.  Sometimes I think I tried to accommodate how I “should” feel, but I soon learned that cultural expectations don’t always apply to individuals, and “experts” aren’t right.

I can think of many instances where the “expert” opinion changed completely over the years, so I have learned not to be too concerned about expectations of what I “should” do or how I “should” feel at any age.  

That doesn’t mean I’m not aware of the limitations of aging, but it is a gradual thing.  The worst part is some of what you have to give up and the best part is also what you can give up!

Anyway, I don’t dwell on it and I’m not sure how I got off on this subject today, I certainly didn’t intend to, and I haven’t even really thought a lot about it.

Probably the worst aspect of aging, is the general perception of other people (even people the same age) about what you “should” do or “shouldn’t” do or should or shouldn’t “be”.  

Of course, what has really angered and disappointed me is this general impression that older people are no longer creative etc. and can only do certain tasks or the general feeling that older people have so many limitations we don’t have.

A subject I really can’t do much about, except I speak from experience!  

The other day, I was changing a light bulb, which included some antics.  I was thinking I used to think of people my age doing this as ‘they ought to consider their limitations”!

Not my exact words, but I do need to avoid the thinking (that happens at any age by the way) of “it won’t happen to me” and “I’m a special exception”!  etc.

It is easy to fall into the trap of “miracle thinking” and denial of reality. As a speaker once said, “De Nile isn’t just a river in Egypt”!

Of course, I think I need to consider that, as the saying goes, “Life is a journey, not a destination”, and all stages of age are part of the journey. I just need to enjoy and experience  the journey and perhaps not self-analyze if I am meeting the expectations of each stage.
That is why I don’t worry about “wasting” time when I sit on the patio and enjoy the early morning or enjoy my walks.  “Wasting” time is a matter of opinion, and it took me a long time to realize that.

As I have mentioned before, I think “balance” is important in life.

Wonderful weather the last few days and today.  I like hot weather, but I also certainly enjoy the 70 degree mornings and the coolish evenings.  I don’t enjoy it much colder than that, but I will enjoy the moment!


That’s it for now, Wednesday, August 17, 2016.

No comments: