Sunday, August 07, 2016

2016 Summer August 7 Sunday



79 degrees this morning.  Walk 36:13

Almost cool this morning in spite of the temperature.    Sitting on the patio.  I enjoy the patio, it’s not my favorite patio by any means (Lakeland was my obvious favorite), but it is nice.  When (and if) we build a roof on it, it will be really nice.  We also need to plant a few strategic plants or trees to provide more privacy.  

Listening to my book on my walk, I learned about some of the Philosophers attempts to define “beauty” in all kinds of ways.  I have to think “beauty is in the eye of the beholder” and that is about the best definition I can get.  

I think there are definitely some cultural and maybe even genetic sources of the definition of “beauty”, but it still, in the end, depends on the individual person.  

Same with houses, people want different things in a house and each person decides what kind of house is right for them.  Ditto with patios!

We are fairly close to a train track.  We were a little worried when we bought the house but it really hasn’t bothered us at all, in fact I rather enjoy it although we don’t hardly ever hear it and almost never hear it in the house.

There is almost something comforting about it.

What is strange is how the sound carries.  Some days you don’t  hear anything, some days, wile on my walk, there are areas where it seems like it is right next to you.

What is really strange is that in our previous house, which is about 2 1/2 miles away, I could hear the  train in the early morning if the air moisture and wind was right.   

I am not sure what would be “comforting” about a train, except maybe it is some indication that the world is still moving, or maybe it is some memory I have about trains.  

The lightning and thunder yesterday didn’t result in any rain where we live but it did rain about 1/2 mile away.  I actually looked at a weather map and our location was just outside of the rain area.  

I’m not sorry I stopped my walk short, I think it is much better to take safety precautions.  

Until listening to my book this morning, I didn’t realize Bertrand Russell was the source for so many quotes!  One problem with “listening” is that I can never remember the exact quote, but he had several that I need ponder on.

Fortunately, with the internet today, it is easy to look up information and facts.  They may not be correct, but I figure is I look enough I can determine basically which are correct.

A lot of his quotes has to do with distortion of the facts, or of “distorting” reality to meet preconceived thoughts and beliefs.  I’m sure all of us are somewhat guilty of that 
All of our computers, one car etc. are now out or the “warranty” period.  Actually the car engine and transmission etc. are covered for another two years.  

Computers are basically obsolete as soon as the warranty expires anyway, although it doesn’t mean they aren’t useful for a lot of things.  

I was looking at my “original iPad” this morning, wondering what else I could use it for.  It’s value is virtually nothing, but it is still good to use for phones, listening to books, music and some programs still work on it, although not many!

I am eating for the new “iPad Pro” to come out.  Some of the hype has been great on it, but we’ll see!


That’s it for now, Sunday, August 7, 2016.

No comments: