Tuesday, August 16, 2016

2016 Summer August 16 Tuesday


70 degrees this morning, walk 35:50 minutes

Continuing to listen to the book about Nikola Tesla.  It is interesting (and rather disgusting) to see how the inventions he made and he himself got shoved into the background.  

This is one of those books I would like to read the physical book (or at least an E-book), so I can really understand the nuances of the different actions going on at the time.  

I switched my book to my iPhone after the Kindle Fire flopped.  It works a lot better, but still stopped once this morning.  May have been I accidentally hit a button and stopped it, but it still shouldn’t have happened. The overall operation is significantly better than the Kindle. 

I recently read an article where the discussion centered on whether it was “cheating” to listen to book rather than actually read it. 

In this case, it involved reading book for a “book club” discussion group, so maybe the discussion has some merit in that sense.  

Otherwise, I think the time you save in listing to information you may not otherwise have is hardly “cheating”, I think it is just using technology to your benefit. 

Considering just how much time I spend walking, I probably easily listen to 4 hours a week, just on my walk.  That is a lot of information I wouldn’t have otherwise, even if my mind wanders occasionally.  

I am always surprised at how little of technology I use, including computer programs, iPhone apps, and even our car.

Last night someone pulled out in front of me (no reason either, there was no one in back of me).  Just to express my displeasure, I honked.  When I hit the horn, I also hit some other parts of the steering wheel and was amazed what I could find out by “talking” to the car!  (Such things as the weather, changing the stations, etc.)  On the other hand, I can do all of that fairly easily without have to mess with the verbal commands etc.

Generally I have found that it is nice to have the technology available, but until I have a use for it, there really isn’t any reason for me to attempt to learn it.  If I am going to use it, I will learn it, if I’m not, it is a waste of time to learn it.  

Of course, sometimes I have to dig a little deep to find out what is available and if I have a use for it.  

I remember I first realized that with Excel.  I tried to learn it, and thought I did, but I didn’t really have a use for it.  When I realized I could prepare a City budget on it, I quickly learned it and was amazed how “easy” it was to learn when I had a specific use for it!

That may be one reason I have a difficult time with “Evernote”.  Until I actually have a use for it that the “learning time” encountered provides more benefit than just continuing my present way, I won’t use it or at least use i too the fullest extent.  

Probably “Apple notes”  (the free app with any Apple product, or at least the iPhone, iPad and computers) is probably the most valuable app or program I use.  It is simple and beats any app which is supposed to “enhance it”.  

There actually is a little learning curve with the “Apple Notes”.  I didn’t realize for a time the value of using “folders”, so I have a mess of notes that I really don’t have  organized well.  I do it right now, but I eventually will have to go back and reorganize my notes into the proper folders.  

Of course, if I’m not careful, I’ll have so many folders….. etc.  


That’s it for now, Tuesday, August 16, 2016.

No comments: