Friday, August 12, 2016

2016 Summer August 12 Friday



85 degrees this morning, Walk 36:13 minutes

Some time ago, I purchased a $50 “Amazon Fire” figuring it would have a newer system that may download audible books easier.  It does download the books easier, but it is, like many Amazon branded products, a piece of junk that is designed more to peddle more junk they sell and advertising than in producing a decent product.

About the third day on my walk, the story suddenly jumped to another book and then quit all together!  While it is difficult to walk and mess around with it, all I could get was advertising junk.  So much for  Amazon branded devices and products!  

I have always been a little surprised (and dismayed) at some of the junk they sell. (Phone cases that don’t work etc. and just absolute junk earphones and plugs etc. I learned early don’t buy unless it is a brand name product and  I should have known better than to waste any money (even if is just $50)  on an Amazon branded product.  

I was rather horrified to read yesterday about another product I don’t buy, Samsung  Apparently in the early days, a lot of their workers developed leukemia cancer from working with the toxic chemicals etc.  Instead of trying to help, Samsung (and the Korean government) are hiding behind “trade secrets” .  In many cases the workers are in their twenties and go bankrupt from medical expenses. 

Actually, whenI say “early days”, I am talking about 2006 to 2012, but there is strong evidence that the toxic chemicals continue to be used, created cancer and other medical ruble's for the workers.  

I have never had a Samsung product that worked much longer than the guarantee period and haven’t had a Samsung product since about 2002 (knowingly anyway).  

If the story about the toxic workplaces are even reasonably true (and a quick review of the internet indicates it has been a known problem for years), I certainly would not have any Samsung products in my house.  

If they don’t care about their workers, they probably don’t care about their customers so who knows how dangerous some of their products are.

Realistically, I expect their are Samsung parts in almost anything, but at least I won’t buy anything with the Samsung name on it  

85 degrees is approaching being hot even with cooling breezes!  Actually, it’s not bad at all. I am sitting on the patio, but it is still reasonably pleasant.

We got our water bill yesterday, it was amazingly high.  I have to think that all of the people who just waste water are forcing the City to buy high priced “peak” water and so are running all of our water bills up.  I am just appalled at the wasted water I see on my early morning walk and bike ride.

Supposedly, there is permanent “odd even” rationing on lawn watering, but obviously it isn’t enforced.  

We have gradually gone to almost all LED lighting, at least the lights that are used very often.  While of course with Air Conditioning you don’t really know how much it is saving, I know when we first started, the electrical use went down substantially even with just going to LED’s on some outside lightning and high use areas.  

On course, in my opinion, a major advantage of the LED lights are that they last for a long period.  (I don’t really expect the 22 years promised etc., but at least it will be longer than six months or so!) They also seem to put out a brighter light.

Of course, the estimated life is based on 3 hours per day use or something like that.  I wish companies would be more realistic and just say “1000 use hours” (or whatever it is, instead of “22 years at 3 hours per day!”.  

I doubt that that will ever happen.


That’s it for now, Friday, August 12, 2016.

No comments: