Tuesday, August 23, 2016

2016 Summer August 23 Tuesday

2016 Summer August 23 Tuesday

75 degrees this morning, walk 35:32 minutes (estimate, forgot to turn off stop watch)

Wonderful weather this morning. Somewhere between 64 degrees and 75 degrees, it tips from being “nice” to “too cool”.  Probably the exact temperature depends on the wind and other factors also, but 68 degrees is probably around the point that it moves from “nice” to “too cool”.  Of course, here the wind plays a major role.

Learned from the book on Tesla that FM radio travels through the air and AM radio passes through the ground.  I haven’t confirmed that elsewhere, but I  assume it is true.  I never knew that or even really thought about it.

They gave as proof that if you go through a tunnel, FM continues, but AM doesn’t.  (or maybe it is the other way around.)

Actually, it is somewhat academic to me, since I never listen to AM or FM stations, or at least very rarely.

I got so tired of the “talking heads”, even on “music” shows on radio, so I just quit listening.  I didn’t mind the advertisements, I just got tired on the endless garbage talk, and in some cases just flat putrid talk that they apparently did to try to get attention.  In a way they did, I heard it and quit listening.

Actually even XM has some of it, but at least they have enough channels that I don’t have to listen to it  I really wander why a dj would think I wanted to hear their opinion instead of music.  

I’ll never understand the many “sports talk” radio stations, or even the “news talk”, but apparently there is a market for it.  I don’t have anything against it as such, I just don’t understand anyone liking it.  I’m sure there are many activities I do that people also don’t understand!

By the way, that isn’t a consequence of “age”, I hated talk on radio when I was a teenager and have all my life.  I remember how happy I was to buy my first car cassette tape player so I wouldn’t have to listen to radio (or silence) when I drove.

Actually there were a few (very few) dj’s who talked a lot that I listened to occasionally.  However, they did mainly play music. One was in Tulsa (I think John Evring  or something like that) years ago, and the other was Oklahoma City “Dave and Dan” I occasionally listened to years and years ago.  (Like back in the nineties).  

I remember complaining to XM radio one time about talking on XM and they said something like “drivers want to feel like they have a friend talking to them”.  Spare me.  

It is nice to sit out on the patio again in the early morning.  Due to a light rain Saturday, and the cold Sunday and Monday I missed it.  Of course, there is probably only about another month for this season.

It may well have cooled down for the year, at least from the temperatures we were having.  I expect there will be a few hot days, but probably the hot weather is over.

I am participating in the local program on getting familiar with the local Police Department.  I am so unused to sitting for three hours in a classroom environment I hope I can stand it.  I’m not really sure why I am doing it, but it sounded interesting.  It does not involve actually participating in anything, just in getting familiar with what they do and how they do it.  Anyway, I”ll find out more about it tonight.  

Office day today.  I enjoy both the office and field days and am glad I have a job with some variety and independent work.


That’s it for now, Tuesday, August 23, 2016.

No comments: