Thursday, August 11, 2016

2016 Summer August 11 Thursday



84 degrees this morning, Walk 35:05 minutes 

Again, it almost seems cool here on the patio, in spite of the 84 degree temperature.  Of course, that is with no sun and a light cooling breeze.  Still, it always surprises me at how cool it seems. 

I remember as a child sleeping outside (this was long before we even thought of getting air conditioning and I don’t even remember any fans etc.)  

We would sleep outside in the cooling breeze, usually with the dog.  

I always grew up thinking dogs and cats hated each other.  Our dog would chase the cats (we probably had 25 cats, remember this was a farm, all from one cat who stopped by one day, if I remember correctly).  

The dog would absolutely always chase the cats, so it was a surprise to me when I saw dogs and cats actually get along!

Even in the heat, I can feel the coming Fall and Winter, especially as the days shorten.  

I should say as the daylight of the day shortens, but somehow it doesn’t sound the same.  I understand the daylight is already over 40 minutes less than it was at the height of Summer!

I am still battling with “stuff” and how or if to get rid of it  I know I have t-shirts, coats and hats I will never wear, and yet it is difficult to “cut the cord” and give it away.  I try to think that it (hopefully) will be used by someone.  

Of course, there is also all of the small (and large) items you accumulate.  

I don’t really know how you can come to attach memories to an inanimate object, where the object represents a pleasurable experience or time, but I do, and that is what makes it so hard to get rid of stuff.

Actually, we have disposed of a lot of items the past three years, and I have been trying to “use” items and see if I really need to keep them.

Of course, all of the pens, notebooks, note pads, etc. I have accumulated over the years, I am now using in my job, so that is good.  I feel like they are being used for their intended purpose!

I am trying to deliberately use different t-shirts and hats and find he ones I really like.  

Oddly enough, sometimes I find it hard to use something that I picked up someplace.  An obvious example is t-shirts and hats I keep for the “right time” to wear  I am trying to convince myself the “right time” is now!

I always wear a bandanna when I walk and bike (actually two when I bike), at least in the summer.  (in the Winter I wear a warm hat and neck warmer of some sort).  

Anyway, I have several “advertising” bandannas and one i got at the CMA Fest.  It was so hard to wear them for the first time!  

Not that I will ever need to buy another bandanna.  They rarely wear out, (probably losing them is the biggest problem).  I did buy about a dozen bandannas from some company on Amazon.  they were the “bright green” type (not the “safety yellow” color, which I was looking for), but they are starting (and actually started shortly after I got them) to fray at the edges.  Even then, they will literally last forever, at least as far as I am concerned.

The “regular” bandannas are amazingly sturdy.  One or two are starting to fade a little, but in a way that just makes them more comfortable.  No fraying or holes etc.  

Knowing that I will probably have to live with something for the rest of my life has made me very cautious about buying anything!  I try to think if i “really” want or need an item, not just one more “thing” I have to take care of and worth about where to put it etc.

Such are my thoughts in the early morning, but I really have gotten cautious about anything that is not consumed or wears out in a relatively short period of time!


That’s it for now, Thursday, August 11, 2016

No comments: