Sunday, August 28, 2016

2016 Summer August 28 Monday



74 degrees this morning, walk 36:42 minutes 

Heard the howling of the coyotes this morning.  I can only wonder what the sound was like to the early settlers or the early pathfinders who had no idea what danger the sound might mean.  

Whenever I travel by car, I wonder how in the world they managed to travel this area with big wagons etc. Especially when I think of the terrain from Memphis west.  

i assume time was a different factor than.  When you can only go a couple of miles per day and have to  travel over some of the terrain I have seen (without benefit of highways, GPS, cell phones etc.) I have to really wonder how they did it.  

I assume it was like a lot of challenges, if they had really realized what the cost was many of them may not have attempted it!  They had to travel by ship etc.  

Whenever I read history, I read how Benjamin Franklin, Teddy Roosevelt etc. traveled so much and spend years overseas etc.  I have to wonder, when did they have time to dod their work, wonderful inventions etc.!

I had an interesting meeting yesterday.  It was an organization whose goal is to make things better for employees.  It was interesting to watch and to participate in a very small way.  Speaking of facing challenges, they (or we) are definitely facing challenges in accomplishing even a small portion of our goals.

One of those activities where you rise each day, hoping to leave everything just a little better, even if it appears like you haven’t accomplished anything.  Sometimes no action (i.e. stopping a loss of benefits or whatever)  is a victory!

It was a nice drive back, it was interstate most of the way and traffic and weather was cooperative.  

I remember an odd experience at the “lodge” where we had our meeting.  Over 20 years ago (at least), I was sitting in the same meeting room.  

There were weather warnings etc., and the meeting was interrupted when we saw a large “waterspout” (a tornado over water) skipping over the lake.  It was a strange experience.  

I  went into the meeting room and instantly remembered that episode. I doubt if it is had been on land it would have been anything but a “dust devil”.  

We came back on a road that I was involved in designing (not the road itself, just the general route) years and years ago.  it was a funny feeling to remember the years of talking about it and now it is a fact of life for the people in this area.  

It problem has been there for about 5 years now, long enough to become part of the life of the people in this area.

It is kind of like when I return to the Topeka/Holton area, I think of that portion of HIghway 75 as the “new highway”, since it was being built when I was in the sixth grade.  Now it is an “old highway” or at least the only Highway 75 many people have even known!  

Actually portions of “old Highway 75” are still drivable and it really brings back memories when I drive the “old portion”. 

Several years ago I drove in the area after a rain, the the muddy roads were very tricky to navigate.  I really wonder how we did it when I was a kid.  The roads were literally still mud, and slick mud at that. 

Second day of the weekend, although when you travel the weekend doesn’t always seem like a weekend. 


That’s it for now, Sunday, August 28, 2016

No comments: