Thursday, August 07, 2014

Summer 2014 August 7 Thursday (Coffee)



80 degrees this morning.  Thunder, lightning, light rain.  Walked 57.43 minutes, weights.  Rode bicycle yesterday morning about 41 minutes, adjusted somewhat to the wind!

Had a nice birthday “day”, Aliene made meat loaf, went to Outback for dessert.  

Coffee is one of my interests and I like to say my only vice.  For years (at home) I only drank Starbucks “French Roast” on a regular basis.  I even keep a backup coffee maker in case something happens to the one I am using!  

A friend (who also prizes excellent coffee, and is a little more likely to experiment with his coffee than I am) gave me a package of Starbucks Cafe Verona and I have decided to switch my regular coffee.  Since I have been drinking Starbucks “French Roast for at least 13 years and possibly as many as 25 years (I really can’t recall drinking any other kind at home, but of course I have), that is a major decision for me!

I”m not sure what the difference it.  It is slightly smoother and has a little more flavor than French Roast.  Anyway, I like it and I”m glad the Sams here has it!  Actually, for some reason, in Memphis, Costco had Starbucks French Roast, while Sams only had  Starbucks Medium.  Strange.  

Same with Peanut Butter (my favorite food).  Sams had Jif Crunchy, while Costco only had Jif Creamy.  (I like either one, but Jif Crunchy is my favorite).  

By the way, none of this name-dropping is “sponsored”. (I wish!)

Back for Coffee, I still have a package of Starbucks French Roast, so I’ll need to decide how to handle finishing it while still having Cafe Verona on a regular basis. 

Eating out, when I want coffee, is always an adventure, since after the morning period, many restaurants don’t know how to serve coffee. I have found Starbucks and McDonalds almost always have acceptable coffee.  In most cases, at McDonalds will make a fresh pot of coffee if you ask  if there is any fresh coffee available and McDonalds has the ONLY cup that I feel comfortable drinking coffee in the car.  I have tried a number of “car cups”, but none of them seem to work, that it is, they spill, or the ones that don’t spill are impossible to drink out of.

Starbucks and McDonalds have excellent coffee.  Steak n Shake has wonderful coffee in the morning or when when they make a fresh pot.  IHOP (based on limited experience) seems to have excellent coffee.  TGIFriday’s coffee tastes like bad instant coffee, so I never drink coffee there and in fact rarely eat there  anymore. On the Border and most Mexican Food restaurants just don’t have good coffee.  J. Alexanders coffee is lukewarm (they keep it in metal coffee servers which don’t’ really keep it hot) and is undrinkable.  Firebirds (Memphis) has great coffee if you get it fresh.  Outback normally has good coffee, although last night it was lukewarm and I couldn’t even get a refill.  Bonefish almost always has excellent coffee or will make it right if is isn’t.  

Coffee is one thing I will send back if it is even slightly cold or old!  I don’t drink carbonated beverages (Coke etc.), or   so coffee is really the only thing I like.  (I do like ice tea if it is strong enough, I hate ice tea when it  is more like water!)  My best bet is probably just to save the money and don’t order anything but water!  

I do always try to rate restaurants on “Yelp” on their coffee, if it is bad, good, fresh, old and how many refills I get.  

Anyway, I love coffee, especially strong and  hot coffee. Now, if I could just find a coffee cop so I can drink coffee while driving!  


That’s it for now, Thursday, August 7, 2014.

No comments: